Selena Gomez Just Released a New Song and Fans Have a Lot to Say

Early Wednesday morning, Selena Gomez dropped her newest single “Lose You to Love Me.” The breakup ballad is the first single off of her upcoming album, which will be the first full-length album that she’s released since 2016’s Revival. Under the music video, which was released on YouTube, Gomez commented “This song was inspired by many things that have happened in my life since releasing my last album. I want people to feel hope and to know you will come out the other side stronger and a better version of yourself.”

The song itself has been described by Billboard as “a characteristically Gomez pop melody with airy vocals.” The lyrics express Gomez’s feelings about losing someone in her life and how it has impacted her in terms of her journey to self-love. She ends the song by saying “And now the chapter is closed and done/ And now it’s goodbye/ It’s goodbye for us,” ultimately letting go of this person that is no longer in her life. She extends this message to the music video, as well. The “Lose You to Love Me” music video uses simplicity in terms of color choices and content. It consists of Gomez sitting down, singing to the audience alone in a dark room.

Within hours of being released, the “Lose You to Love Me” music video was the number one trending video on YouTube with over ten-million views by Wednesday evening. With all of this hype, many fans took to Twitter and other social networks to share their opinions of the song. Overall, they all seem to be certain that Gomez is singing about her decade long on-again-off-again relationship with “Baby” singer, Justin Bieber. One fan tweeted “Hopefully now people will leave Selena alone and stop asking about Justin. She’s is finally done,” and went on to quote Gomez’s lyric: “The chapter is closed and done.”

Courtesy: Seventeen

Other fans were focused on Haley Bieber, Justin Bieber’s wife, who he married only two months after he and Gomez broke up. Shortly after “Lose You to Love Me” dropped, Haley Bieber posted a screenshot on her Spotify account, playing the song “I’ll Kill You” by Summer Walker, featuring Jhené Aiko. Many believed this to be her response to Gomez’s single. Once again, fans took to Twitter to express their opinions on the subject. One fan tweeted “Lol Haley really threatened #selenaGomez… over Justin beiber [Bieber] the man she’s married too [to]… what?” Others took the side of Justin Bieber, one user saying “#SelenaGomez is a manipulating person. She knows Justin and she knows he will get really affected. When will she ever grown [grow] up?!”

Many had a lot to say about the song itself, and not so much rather about how “Lose You to Love Me” could be about Justin Bieber. A lot of these fans found the song to be beautiful and touching. Even “Lover” singer, Taylor Swift took to Instagram to post a story about “Lose You to Love Me.” She shared a screenshot of the single’s cover along with a message to fans: “This song is a perfect expression of healing and my absolute favorite song she’s put out yet. A triumph.” She went on to say: “I love you so much @selenagomez.”

Courtesy: Taylor Swift

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Emily is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and minoring in Communications. In her free time, she enjoys singing, discovering new music, and tracking down the best coffee in Tallahassee. Find her on Instagram @emischutz.
Her Campus at Florida State University.