Scarlett Singh: Kappa Alpha Theta President with Law Aspirations

Name: Scarlett Singh

Hometown: Boca Raton, FL

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Majors: Political Science, Editing Writing & Media & Leadership Certificate

Courtesy: Facebook

Her Campus (HC): I know you have been fairly active in your sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. Can you please tell me about some of the leadership roles you have been involved with since joining?

Scarlett Singh (SS): My involvement with Theta first started my freshman year as the Spirit Chairman where I made banners to advertise for Theta. After, I became the Chief Panhellenic Officer and served on the 2014-2015 Executive board and currently I serve as the 2015-2016 President of Kappa Alpha Theta.

HC: Are there any other organizations you are a part of?

SS: I’m currently a member of Garnet and Gold Key.

HC: What were some of your duties as Chief Panhellenic Officer?

SS: As Chief Panhellenic Officer my main duty was to facilitate communication between Theta and the Panhellenic community. As a delegate, I reported back to Theta with any information regarding the community, made sure Theta had a presence at every Panhellenic programmed event, created legislation alongside the 16 other chapter delegates and was the voting voice on behalf of Theta on any piece of legislation that was on the floor.

HC: What are you most looking forward to in serving as Kappa Alpha Theta’s president?

SS: There are so many things I am looking forward to this year as president. Mostly, I hope to make an impact on Theta as a whole. I live largely by the phrase, “Leave people, places and things better than you found them.” I truly hope I leave my term inspiring every one of my sisters to realize how special and remarkable they are and to continue enhancing the growth of Theta in every way possible.

Courtesy: Scarlett Singh

HC: Going back to recruitment, when did you realize Kappa Alpha Theta was the right chapter for you?

SS: When I first signed up for recruitment, I wasn’t really sure how I would ever be able to pick one house out of the many incredible chapters. Theta was on my mind since the first day of recruitment when I met past president Emily Lewis. I left feeling like I had made a friend. On the fifth day of recruitment she accidentally met me at the door for a second time and I felt so comfortable with her. I had a stain from a chocolate milkshake on my white dress and I was freaking out the entire time because I didn’t want her to think I was a clutz. She made me feel so comfortable and laughed it off with me and I knew then I had found somewhere I could be myself.

HC: Did you always aspire to hold an executive position?

SS: I did. I remember my first chapter meeting I looked at the president at the time in awe and thought “wow I would love to be president” and since then, the opportunity had always been on my mind.

HC: What advice would you give to someone seeking an executive position within his or her chapter?

SS: Don’t listen to any doubts you have. Believe in yourself, your passions and your capabilities. Embrace your imperfections and use them to your advantage.  Jump at any and every opportunities presented to you; experience is the best way to learn and to make mistakes. Most importantly, make the most genuine relationships you can. Holding an executive position is so fulfilling when you’re serving some of the people you care about most.

HC: Is there any advice your former president provided you with that you plan to carry over in your role?

SS: Before I became president, Emily and I went out to dinner and I remember her reminding me to work hard but to also remember to rely on your team. I didn’t realize how important that was at the time. As corny as this is, my executive board is my backbone and I’m truly so lucky to have such hardworking individuals working alongside me.

HC: Aside from leadership, you’ve expressed great interest in law. How do you plan to pursue this passion?

SS: Recently, I have taken interest in a lot of career paths. I hope to attend law school, study entertainment law and eventually work in the entertainment industry. I also would love to work for CNN and I recently have taken an interest in global human rights as well.

HC: What three words would you use to describe yourself?

SS: If I had to pick three words I would choose caring, determined and imaginative.

Courtesy: Facebook

HC: Who is your biggest inspiration or role model?

SS: This is a hard one because I look to so many people for inspiration. I think my biggest role models would have to be my parents. I have never met anyone who works harder or is more selfless than they are. They have taught me the value of hard work and they both constantly motivate me to be the best version of myself.

HC: Favorite restaurant(s) in Tallahassee?

SS: Smoothie King is by far my number one place, but if that doesn’t count as a restaurant then Zoe’s Kitchen is definitely a close second.

HC: Who is your celebrity crush?

SS: Ryan Gosling. He’s very attractive.

HC: Lastly, is there anything you’re hoping to accomplish before you graduate from FSU?

SS: I just hope to graduate knowing I played a role in bettering the community in some way and took every opportunity to better myself as a person.

Jordana is a recent graduate of The Florida State University with a Bachelor of Science in public relations. She aspires to work in public relations and digital media in New York City. She is well-versed in pop culture, social media management, press release writing and content creation. Originally from Coral Springs, Florida, Jordana enjoys writing, networking and spending time outdoors. On most days, you can find her researching industry trends, Tweeting and scavenging the internet for new music, ODESZA and Beyonce tunes to be specific. Stay in tune with her daily whereabouts via Twitter: @JordanaJudson.   
Her Campus at Florida State University.