Hair has always been important to me. I remember being a little girl and leaving my mother’s side to grab the hand of a beautiful woman solely because I loved her fiery red hair. Growing up, it amazed me how everyone’s hair was so different; a plethora of textures and colors. I saw the women around me changing their hairstyles frequently, and noticed the instant change of how they looked or felt because of a different hair length, shape or color. Hair provides women with a sense of comfort and confidence. Knowing that this directly applied to me puts me in shock when I think about how I chopped all my curls off.

I was so attached to my hair. In my early childhood, my mother instilled in me a sense of pride in the twist and density of my locks. Even when I began to style my hair on my own and was granted creative freedom with it, I was against coloring, bleaching or processing my hair in any way. I managed to stay away from heat for months at a time and did a ton of DIY hair masks and treatments. With my hair, I always played it safe and I was completely fine with that.

It wasn’t until college when life started to hit me hard that I stripped my hair of its purity. They say when a woman changes her hair, she’s going through a personal transformation and that I was. From being depressed, constantly ill and on my own for the first time in my life; I didn’t know how to express myself and craved something new and positive to balance what I saw as a negative change in my life. I decided to dye my hair red, just like the woman who’s hand I had grabbed hold of when I was younger, and I loved it! I felt brand new and unafraid, just as fiery as my hair was. Each time I went back to my stylist for a touch-up, my hair became a different shade. I had plum-red, red-orange, burgundy and every one of them was so cute! After two years and three haircuts later, a confident, happy and newly single woman emerged. I decided the red phase of my life was over and I felt a need to be authentic Arielle again. Back to black, it was!

Little did I know I would get the most devastating news of my life a month later. A family member very close to me was diagnosed with cancer. I felt as though all the effort I put in to create a better, happier version of me went down the drain as I plummeted into yet another dark place. It was then when I decided to do something that I never thought I would. To show support for my loved one during such a trying time as well as an attempt to release my pain from the situation, I chopped all my hair off. It was a truly freeing experience. I could no longer hide behind my curls. It was a metaphor for the challenges my family and I would have to now face; there was no running or hiding from them, we had to band together and attack this illness head-on!

It’s now nine months later and although my loved one is still fighting this terrible illness, my family (and my hair) is stronger than ever! Every day, I look in the mirror and I am reminded of why I got rid of the hair that I cherished and held onto my entire life. Once a very vain and materialistic attachment, I now feel connected to my hair in terms of strength, support and love; a transformation I will forever value.

All photos courtesy of Arielle Lawson.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Arielle Lawson is a Senior at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Finance and a minor in Women's Studies. Her passions include reading, serving the surrounding community, and her Yorkie-Poo, Indygo. She aspires to change the current narrative of Women in society through her writing, service, and future profession in Higher Education.
Her Campus at Florida State University.