March 17, 2001. A special day to say the least… well in my case, it is. I was born on St. Patrick’s Day 20 years ago. I know… I am definitely getting older. While some say I was born on a “lucky” day, I would consider it a “blessed” day. It was a blessing to be born on such a happy day, and it is pretty cool how people are celebrating around the world on a day meant for me (sort of, but you get the point).

St. Patrick’s Day observes the death of St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. It is a global celebration of the Irish culture filled with parades, special foods, music and of course, lots of GREEN! With that thought in mind, I look forward to another birthday celebration as I enter my twenties. It is a birthday to celebrate the little things in life and reminisce on the year 2001.

Green hat with Irish flag
Photo by Laura Tancredi from Pexels

So, what was actually happening 20 years ago? In terms of fashion, the year 2001 was known as a “mash-up” year, meaning trends were a mixture of previous styles. Popular items of clothing were Ugg boots, hoodies and skinny jeans for women, and tracksuits and cargo pants for men. Sunglasses were also worn as an accessory for outfits. Women usually had long, straight hair and dyed highlights and lowlight streaks were a definite must! In the film industry, Pixar’s Monsters, Inc. hit theatres, and movie lovers were introduced to Sulley and Mike Wazowski. Also, the “Cha Cha Slide” was the most popular song on the radio in 2001. It is crazy how 20 years later, we still have similar fashion trends, and we still adore both Sulley and Mike. Even the “Cha Cha Slide” is often played to get the party started on the dance floor.

While 2001 was filled with exciting trends, it was also a year of change. The terrorist attacks on Sep. 11 were something that will never be forgotten. People often say they still remember where they were on the day the attacks took place. That just shows how these attacks were impactful, and it was such a devastating day for many Americans. Consumed by grief and fear, Americans turned to its leaders for guidance and action, and Congress and the White House responded. American military expanded and limitations were put in place for air travel. The security measures after 9/11 seemed to discourage potential foreign invaders on American soil. America had definitely changed and even 20 years later, America is still changing.

March 17, 2001, was definitely different than what it is today. The world seemed a little simpler in the eyes of a newborn (a.k.a. me). As the years have gone by, I am not afraid of getting older. As cheesy as it sounds, I’ve become wiser, and I still look forward to celebrating another year of me! Some would even consider “20” as a waiting game since the legal drinking age is still one year away. Yet, for me, I would consider “20” as a milestone birthday and I am hopeful for all that “20” has in store for me.

Me with birthday cake
Photo by Sofia Cabrera

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Hi everyone! My name is Sofia Cabrera, and I am majoring in English and double minoring in education and hospitality management at Florida State University. As someone who is passionate for writing, I hope to use this platform as a way to share my experiences and have others learn about things that interest me and have influenced my life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.