fsu football game entrance, doak campbell stadium, day game
Original photo by Madeline Schmidt

Remain Unconquered With a Girl’s Guide to FSU’s Football Season

A few years ago, I never could have imagined myself freaking out over my college football team. Growing up with only brothers made me more interested in college football and sports. I considered sports events a large part of the college experience and considered the size of the public university and the sports teams while applying to schools. Florida State University initially stood out to me for its Men’s Basketball team, not football. However, as we are in prime football season, I am proud to cheer on our team’s undefeated season thus far. Football has become a big deal in my family, and being immersed in FSU’s unique and memorable atmosphere at each home game is surreal. I wanted to dive deep into FSU’s 2023 season and further explain what has been happening with our team throughout this season for those who might not be as educated.

What Does the AP Poll Even Mean?

The NCAA College Football Ranking is a website that keeps track of the scores and games of the top 25 Division 1 college football teams. According to the NCAA, these rankings are a combination of a specialized selection committee that analyzes multiple factors of games, such as the opponents played and game outcomes. In addition to the game results, around 60 sportswriters and broadcasters vote on the top college’s rankings, and thus, the Associated Press (AP) 25 Poll is created. This poll is released the Sunday afternoon after the weekly games, an optimal time to compare scores and vote.

I’m highlighting the importance of this ranking system due to FSU’s dominance at the top of the leaderboard this 2023 season. As seen on the FSU Football Instagram, FSU’s football team has been within the top five on the AP poll for nine consecutive weeks and is currently ranked fourth in the nation.

Our Performance This Season

Being ranked in the top five in the nation takes work. Throughout this entire season so far, we have seen the Seminoles perform time and time again. Taking it back to the first anticipated game of the season against Louisiana State University (LSU), the stakes were high because fans felt this game would set the bar for how we would perform this season. When we beat LSU 45-24, I knew this year would be a good one. On game four against Clemson, I was getting a little nervous for our football team. Going into overtime was one of the more stress-inducing times of my life. However, when we scored the winning touchdown to end the game 31-24, I was ecstatic.

Playing another similarly ranked team, Duke, on week seven of this season was also a little worrisome. I didn’t know how we would perform, but being in the student section to witness this evening game for the first time in a while was so rewarding. Our team is currently undefeated, with an 8-0 score, and I couldn’t be prouder.

Key Players to Watch For

Our football season would not have been going this smoothly if it wasn’t for our powerhouse of a football team. If you are more interested in watching the game, I can recommend a few players to take note of. On our defense, we have number 5, Jared Verse, a driven defensive lineman who plays exceptionally well. For offense, it’s no surprise that I mention Jordan Travis. Our key quarterback of the team is often relentless in his pursuit to win. From the many times I’ve watched him play, he’s willing to do whatever it takes, including running, being tackled, or throwing the ball away, to help his team succeed.

Additionally, wide receivers Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson have been critical to Florida State’s success in their numerous plays and long catches this season. Lastly, the running back, Trey Benson, is an excellent addition to the team with his high yardage. These are just a few players I recommend looking out for when watching your next FSU Football game.

Overall, football is such a captivating sport, and if you haven’t given it a chance, I highly encourage you to attend our next home game. There’s something different about being in the stadium with a team working very hard. Being able to witness the Florida State game day traditions is something I will never forget. This year, our football atmosphere has been electric, and I highly encourage you to follow along with our team’s journey throughout the rest of the season.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hey yall! I am a second-year undergraduate student and member of the Her Campus at Florida State chapter. I am an out-of-state student majoring in environmental science, and have always had a passion for writing. Within HerCampus, I am part of the social media team for Instagram, an academic intern, and staff writer. My work often varies from campus advice and environmental current events to lifestyle articles based around healthy habits and some of my other passions such as thrifting, being outdoors, and attending concerts. Beyond Her Campus, I am involved in my sorority, Gamma Phi Beta, as a Social Media Chair and Line Dance member. I additionally fundraise for Dance Marathon at FSU and am a member of both the Environmental Service Program and Maji Project.