Rebecca Roman: Renaissance Woman with Political Aspirations

Name: Rebecca Roman

Year: Junior

Age: 21

Hometown: Clearwater, FL

Major: Political Science, Philosophy

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus (HC): So, tell me all about your crazy life!

Rebecca Roman (RR): Well, I just finished up managing the on-campus Starbucks across from the FMC, I intern for a house representative, I go to school full time, and I also try to be social every once in a while.

HC: Wow, you have a lot on your plate! How did you get to be a Starbucks manager?

RR: Basically, my boss got pregnant and had to go have the baby. The position was empty and they offered it to me. So, I’ve been squeezing a full time job into 20 hours a week, just trying to get it all done. I was just asked by the President of Aramark and the head of human resources to apply to fill the Dirac position when it becomes open.

HC: Oh my gosh, it must have been crazy to just get thrown into it all!

RR: It was! I didn’t get any training, and I didn’t get any help. I actually failed my first audit. But then I immediately took it and fixed everything. Within the next few days, I had the President of Aramark walk through and give me the nod of approval!

HC: See, you didn’t burn the place down.

RR: I certainly came close a few times.

HC: So, tell me about the legislative internship. That sounds quite impressive.

RR: I intern for Representative Jimmy Smith. I go there 3 days a week and I do quite a bit for them. What I like most is they don’t make me their secretary. They have one up there, which is unique. So, I pretty much go to committee meetings, help write bill language for op-eds. I’m fairly involved in the whole process.

HC: That is a pretty impressive position. How did you snag it?

RR: After feeling like I was doing nothing with my life Freshman year, I decided to go out Sophomore year and join clubs (which turned into one club, because who has time for that?). I joined NEP (Noles Engaged in Politics) and got an internship through it. I regret to say I wasn’t very involved, but I got my internship and became consumed.

HC: So, are you looking into pursuing a career in politics?

RR: I’m keeping my options open. The plan right now is to go to law school. Then, who knows what opportunities will arise?

HC: So, in an ideal world, where would you end up?

RR: In an ideal world, I would apply to the law education program with the Navy, go to an incredible school, make fabulous grades, become a JAG (Judge Advocate General) officer, serve my country, eventually go into politics, and ultimately run the world.

HC: I like the confidence! You are unstoppable. How do you do it all?

RR: Well, I don’t sleep. And I work at Starbucks, so I drink a lot of coffee – which I do not recommend. I start everyday with four shots of espresso over ice.

HC: Wait, seriously?

RR: I’m dead serious. I average about eight shots a day.

HC: You’re crazy! How do you manage a social life with all of this?

RR: I prioritize. I live with one of my best friends and my other best friends come around all the time. I always feel like I’m busy, but so is everyone else.

HC: I know that you cook too. How in the world do you make time for that?

RR: I LOVE to cook. It’s how I de-stress. Cooking is my art. I’m not a super creative person but cooking is my outlet. Whenever I’m stressed, I can just cook it out.

HC: What’s an example of something you would cook?

RR: I have a few go-to’s. There’s Coq au vin, a French wine dish. It’s delicious. My real passion, my heart and soul, is Indian food. My roommate is so sick of curry. I make it at least once a week.

Seriously guys, her food is insane (@rebeccaroman on Insta)

HC: You sound so interested in so many different things. What are you most passionate about?

RR: I’m passionate about serving people. I’m passionate about leadership. I’m passionate about women and their advancement from a conservative standpoint.

HC: Oh? Elaborate.

RR: This is something I have thought about my whole life. As an Independent Conservative woman in the public sector, I don’t think that the government needs to intervene on behalf of women. This isn’t a governmental problem, it’s a social problem. It’s a cultural problem. Women are socialized into thinking certain things about themselves. I actually had a problem when I first got promoted. I wasn’t being paid what a supervisor should be paid, they said they had to pay me a dollar less. And I was just thankful for the job to begin with and just took it. But, now I’m actually getting retro-paid because I finally stood up for myself and said that I deserve to be paid what every supervisor gets paid. When I first got this managerial position, I had to negotiate my pay for the first time. What I realized is that we women sometimes simply take what we are handed, whereas men are statistically more inclined to ask for the things they know they deserve. As a woman, it’s not always in my nature to be demanding. I’m thankful, but I need to realize that I work hard and should be compensated accordingly. It’s hard though, because when you don’t see people like you in a certain position, you don’t see yourself there. It’s up to us, as a society, to change that.

HC: Do you hope to be that role model for young women?

RR: I hope I am able to live my life in a way that is seen as that. All I can do is serve to the best of my ability in everything that I do. I would love to live a life so that others are inspired. But, that’s all on me to achieve.

HC: Do you have a positive female role model in your life that has empowered you to feel so strong and independent?

RR: Actually, its surprising. I mean, my mom is an amazing woman and an incredible role model, but it’s really my dad. Nothing against cheerleaders— this is just my dad, he’s a bodybuilding lawyer, you never know what’s going to come out of his mouth—but, I remember that my sister and I wanted to cheerlead when we were younger and my dad said “I never want you on the sidelines, I want you on the field. I want people cheering for you.” He instilled in me this independence and self-motivation.

HC: So you’re totally a Daddy’s girl.

RR: I’m both! My mom and I are best friends but my dad has had a tremendous impact on my life. He has made me question everything so that I don’t have any beliefs that I don’t have a reason for believing.

HC: Do YOU have any advice for young college women trying to make it in politics, or simply assert themselves in life?

RR: Well, I’m no expert, but I’m pretty happy with where I am at 21. So, all I can say is stay focused and watch what motivates you. Stay humble and stay focused.

HC: Watch what motivates you?

RR: For instance, in politics, you can just tell who is motivated by self-interest and who is internally motivated. When I first worked at Starbucks, I wasn’t motivated by thinking “I want to run the company”, I was motivated by thinking “I want to do this as well as I possibly can.” It’s important to not be motivated by external benefits, but instead by wanting to be the best that you can be.

Morgan is currently a junior in the Editing, Writing, and Media program. Her interests include Kraft macaroni and cheese, cats, overpriced candles, Icelandic ambient music, tattoos, cherry coke, and short lists. Her true aspiration is to become an international pop sensation, but, due to her complete lack of musical ability, a life as a professional writer will have to do.
Her Campus at Florida State University.