This past Wednesday, Nov. 6, we were given the luxury of attending an advanced screening of the feature film Queen & Slim at the Florida State University Askew Student Life Center. The theatre was filled with Black and Brown faces, which was not only comforting but also empowering. We quickly realized that the movie-watching experience would be an exemplary one and that we would likely share similar sentiments following the film that could spark much-needed discussion.

The story of Queen & Slim—conceptualized and written by esteemed screenwriter Lena Waithe and directed by the tenacious, provocative and ingenious Melina Matsoukas—is exponentially greater than the Bonnie and Clyde-inspired romantic drama that many are attempting to categorize it as. In fact, the characters and the storyline are not inspired by the notorious couple at all. According to Waithe, the two lovers and their tales were born out of the lived experiences of Black people within America. In an article for the New York Times, the film’s director Melina Matsoukas stated that footage of Sandra Bland’s arrest in 2015 was the primary point of inspiration for characterizing the story’s female protagonist, Queen. This tale opens with the two polar opposites, Queen and Slim, meeting up late one evening at a quaint Ohio diner for a first date. Things swiftly take a turn for the worst when a malevolent police officer stops the pair for a very minor traffic ‘violation.’ The seemingly small situation quickly escalates beyond control, and the unlikely couple is forced to flee the scene. It is there that their tumultuous journey unfolds.

The film showcases the many complex issues facing the Black community within the United States. The complexities highlighted include the problems of representation, vulnerability, religion within the Black community, and the legacy of trauma, becoming a cornerstone of the African American experience. The incident of police brutality encountered by the protagonists, Queen and Slim, played by accredited actor Daniel Kaluuya of Get Out fame and newcomer Jodie Turner-Smith, within the first 10 minutes of the film and their subsequent desertion quickly propel the two into becoming a much-needed symbol of trauma, hysteria and agony felt by Black people across the country—within the film and without.

red film reel white background
Photo by Denise Jans from Unsplash
Queen & Slim is a culmination of genres. The film plays upon the conventions typical of comedy, thriller, crime, action, romantic and drama productions. The connections made between these different facets allowed the film to strike many different chords amongst its viewers. It prompted them to place themselves into the situation unfolding on screen. A common sentiment expressed while viewing was ‘what if this happened to me?’ Moreover, the on-screen dialogue contained a variety of hidden meanings and provided powerful quotes that left the audience in wonderment. “Why do Black people have to always be excellent? Why can’t we just be ourselves?” is just one of the many straightforward and thought-provoking questions posed within this cinematic masterpiece.

At the start of the film, we were met with instant anxiety, a feeling that carried throughout the course of the film as we were unsure of exactly how the circumstance would end. However, the light-natured comedic relief provided to audiences by way of characters such as Uncle Earl and banter between the star-crossed couple made the audience feel much more at ease, even despite the action riddled manhunt that was unfolding. We would be remiss if we did not inform you that the story of Queen & Slim is not for the faint of heart, but we can assure you that this tear-jerker is a definite must-see. It is an astonishing example of the experience of being Black in America and perpetuates the idea that though life and circumstances happen to you, the best way to cope is to continue living and enjoying the pockets of happiness that you are afforded.

Be sure to watch this amazing film when it makes its official debut on Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 27, and until then, check out the trailer here.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Joelle Malika is a fourth year student at Florida State University studying English: Editing, Writing & Media with a passion for womxn's rights and social advocacy. When she isn't writing for HerCampus she is exploring her multitude of other interests which range from beauty and fashion to politics and activism. Instagram: @joelle.malika
Lauren is a Florida State University alumna with two degrees in Marketing and Management Information Systems. Prior to working as a Managing Editor for Her Campus at FSU, she was a Content Editor and Staff Writer for her chapter. She is a first-generation college graduate from Fort Lauderdale, FL, pursuing a career in Marketing. Her interests include music, fashion, research, sustainability, film, literature and spirituality. Be sure to check out Lauren's articles and social links!
Her Campus at Florida State University.