Style > Fashion

What It’s Like Owning a Fashion Brand While a Full-Time Student

In a world dominated by fast fashion, where everyone seems to end up looking the same, fashion from local stores and designers definitely feel like rare gems. Each piece of clothing seems to have a purpose and intent, like it was meant to find you and be flaunted by only you.

Here in Tallahassee, one of these rare gems I’ve recently found is “Egypt’s Touch”, a sustainable fashion brand with handmade pieces unlike any I’ve seen before. It’s not every day that you meet a full-on fashion designer and business owner who happens to also be a full-time college student. A senior at Florida State University, Egypt Craighton tells us all about her fashion venture and all the triumphs and hardships that come with being an entrepreneur at such a young age. From balancing school, a social life and maintaining a business, her story is undeniably inspiring. 

HerCampus (HC): What year are you and what is your major?

Egypt Craighton (EC): I’m a senior studying Information Technology.

HC: When did you first launch Egypt’s Touch? What made you decide that you wanted to leap into this venture?

EC: I first launched Egypt’s Touch in September 2020 after I picked up sewing during quarantine. During quarantine, I explored my creativity by developing different hobbies and skills that I can use in my daily life. I began sewing with the intent to alter my clothing to fit me better but I began reworking thrifted items and posting transformation videos through Instagram Reels and TikTok. People were extremely receptive to my content and were interested in purchasing the reworked items. That is what sparked the idea to monetize this hobby and create a business.

HC: What type of clothing style does your brand mainly specialize in?

EC: I don’t have a particular clothing style that I specialize in, but most of the pieces I create are reworked from secondhand items so they’re like everyday statement pieces.

HC: Tell us a little bit about the design and manufacturing process? (Are the clothes handmade and do u drop ship?)

EC: I hand make all the clothing items I sell through Egypt’s Touch. Customers can shop through my website [egyptstouch.com], Instagram, or Depop then I package and ship the items myself.

HC: If handmade, how long does it usually take to make your items?

EC: Depending on the item, it can take anywhere from 1 hour to 8 hours to make a piece. I make custom items as well so those tend to take longer than the graphic halter tops that I make.

HC: Would you say balancing school full time along with your brand is a challenge?

EC: Balancing school and my business is my biggest obstacle right now because I’m still trying to situate my schedule and divide my time better. But I think it’s possible to balance the two with dedication, discipline and time management.

HC: What are your future plans and goals for this brand?

EC: I plan for Egypt’s Touch to be a brand worn worldwide. Egypt’s Touch promotes sustainability, individuality and creativity, so with the proper promotion and attention, it has the potential to reach a wide audience. Right now, Egypt’s Touch is a one-woman show, but in the future, I plan to build a team of diverse, talented and creative individuals to take my business to higher levels.

HC: What does Egypt’s Touch mean to you, and what would you recommend to anyone who wants to launch their own business venture?

EC: Egypt’s Touch is an extension of myself, my personal growth and a peek into my creative mind. I have a passion for what I am doing and that passion is what keeps me going when I’m not getting the sales that I want or my content is not reaching as many people as I want it to. I think it is important to have a love for something you are going to invest time and money into or you will get discouraged easily and maybe even give up during the process.

Follow @egyptstouch on Instagram for updates! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Em is a junior from Miami double majoring in psychology and English: editing, writing, & media. Writing, fashion, and astrology are some of her interests and she hopes to pursue a degree in fashion ujournalism.