Life > Academics

What Is It Really Like To Attend University Online?

Priscilla Rios is a current sophomore at Valencia College. She has been attending university online for a year and a half and is here to tell us what a digital college experience is truly like. 

Her Campus (HC): Why did you initially decide to go to college online?

Priscilla Rios (PR): I didn’t have any transportation to get to school last year. I was not driving yet, and the bus isn’t an option for me because there aren’t any stops that are a walkable distance from my house. I am still currently attending school online, and I am happy with my decision. 

HC: Was switching to online school a big adjustment for you?

PR: I already had experience with online school because of COVID hitting at the end of my junior year of high school. I’ve been doing virtual learning ever since, so it wasn’t a very big adjustment for me. However, my adjustment from high school to college was a completely different story. My first year was super stressful, and I wouldn’t say I liked it. I felt very alone because I was in the house 24/7. Now that I am a sophomore, I’ve learned a lot about myself and how I learn. This current semester has been going very well. I have a job this year, so I’m leaving the house a lot more, and that has made it easier on my mental health. Overall, I’m enjoying school way more than I did last year. 

HC: What tips would you give other students planning to attend college virtually?

PR: Learning self-discipline is one way of becoming a better student online. Know the due dates for each of your classes and get things done early if you can. Having a schedule planner has helped me a ton with this. I also have to be a hundred percent committed, but I also need to know when to give myself breaks. I communicate with my professor whenever I am struggling. Speaking up when you’re feeling stuck is super important.

HC: What are some benefits of online school?

PR: A pro would be learning things at my own pace. I still have deadlines, but I like being able to complete assignments on my own time. There is a lot less pressure, and it helps prevent me from getting overwhelmed so easily. 

HC: Do you plan on switching to in-person school eventually?

PR: Yes, I plan on switching to in-person school once I’m finally driving and can get to campus. I’m going to have to go eventually because of my major, but I also just want to have that experience of being in the classroom and participating in campus events. 

HC: Would you recommend online schooling to others?

PR: It honestly depends on what kind of person you are. I’d say if you’re the type of person who struggles to work alone and you need an instructor teaching you face-to-face, then I wouldn’t recommend it. If you’re looking for something convenient and flexible, then I do recommend online schooling.

Priscilla is planning to continue school online until she gets her associate’s degree and then wants to transfer to the University of Central Florida and get her bachelor’s. She is excited to start school in person soon and see how different it is from her current college experience.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Zara and I am a sophomore at FSU that is thrilled to be a part of HER Campus!