me and my boyfriend sunset
me and my boyfriend sunset
Photo by Kira Christina Tosi

Ranking TV’s Hottest Beach Themed Reality Shows

If you have been on the Internet at all in the past few months, you would know that the allure of dating shows set on foreign coasts is hard to ignore. Given the success of the original shows like Love Island and Bachelor in Paradise, there has been a push to make even more of them. I have therefore taken the plunge and rated them all from most to least watchable.

1. bachelor in paradise

If you’ve ever seen The Bachelor or The Bachelorette, the concept of Bachelor in Paradise won’t be too hard to grasp. Groups of men and women are brought to a beach, where they go on dates throughout the week. At the end of each week, the group of either men or women hands a rose to the member of the opposite sex that they like the most. The goal is for couples to become engaged with a ring that the show pays for.

You can watch the show yourself for free on the official ABC website, or with a subscription on HBO Max, Hulu or Youtube Premium.

This show ranks number one as it is the most enjoyable one to watch, but also is the most tolerable. Although Bachelor in Paradise has its cringey moments, the audience is still able to connect with the contestants and watch them fall in love. There has actually been a surprisingly large number of couples that have gotten engaged and a handful of those have gotten married and had kids!

2. Love island

Runner up is the undeniably British Love Island. As it is styled a lot like Big Brother, there are cameras placed all over the house so that the audience can have a 24/7 surveillance view of the contestants. Viewers from around the world then vote on who stays and who leaves the villa. 

Currently, Love Island is only available to watch on Hulu in America.

I have placed this one in second place because after all, it is a trendsetter and is the trashy reality tv that we all secretly love to watch. However, there have not been as many successful couples that end up getting married and having kids.

3. too hot to handle

Set in alternating exotic locations like Mexico and the Turks and Caicos Islands, Too Hot To Handle makes a big twist on the original style of dating shows. As opposed to simply falling in love, singles are placed into a house and are told that they must remain celibate. With every touch and kiss, the contestants lose money from their grand total.

As of right now, Netflix is the only place where viewers can watch Too Hot To Handle.

Although the show is very entertaining to watch, the premise gets tiring after a while. It is hard to watch a supposed dating show when the contestants are not supposed to touch each other at all. Don’t get me wrong, it is entertaining trashy reality tv and will keep you entertained for a few hours.

4. naked and afraid of love

Number four on this list is when things start to take a slight turn for the worse. In a clear attempt to merge Naked and Afraid and Love Island, Naked and Afraid of Love puts a completely nude cast of characters on an island. However, instead of trying to survive the woods, their goal is to fall in love.

Naked and Afraid of Love is currently streaming on Hulu, Youtube TV and Amazon Prime.

All I have to say for this one is that the show is just as obscure as it sounds. While most of us are still processing the invention of Naked and Afraid, Naked and Afraid of Love truly pushes the boundaries. The episodes are full of awkward small talk and comments on people’s physical appearance. Unless you have watched every other show on this list, I do not recommend watching this one.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Alexandra is a junior at Florida State University. She wishes to pursue a career in editing and publishing!