Rachel Gebeloff is the president of Tau Beta Sigma (TBS), a sorority created to perpetuate respect and appreciation for college and university bands. Her Campus sat down with Rachel to discuss her role in Tau Beta Sigma, as well as exciting news about a new Tau Beta Sigma event.

Her Campus (HC): To begin, how did you come to your position to be the Director of Greater Music?

Rachel Gebeloff (RG): As an aspiring arts administrator, I’ve always looked to find ways to combine my involvement with Tau Beta Sigma with experiences that will enhance my professional growth. Two years ago, I had the chance to start an “Adopt-A-Band” program at Godby High school, a local Title One school. Through this experience, I had the chance to see firsthand how little resources are available for Title One music programs in Leon County. Looking at the resources Tau Beta Sigma had available, combined with Florida State University’s College of Music and the Tallahassee community, I knew we had the potential to enact great change. Initially, we wanted to have this concert in Spring of 2020, but with the pandemic, we were finally able to start this initiative this year. When I ran for President of Tau Beta Sigma, this concert was part of my platform, and once I was elected, I immediately got to work on the benefit concert! Thankfully, I’ve been fortunate enough to have so much support from the sisterhood, and they all have taken on coordinator positions to make this concert a possibility. Without the collective effort and support of TBS, we never would have been able to start such a large venture. I never could have imagined this concert growing into the amazing project it is today.

HC: What is it that your program does?

RG: The For Greater Music benefit concert strives to assist students and band programs with great need by providing opportunities and materials to foster musical excellence.

HC: I’ve heard that you have an event coming up, could you tell me what kind of event you’re having?

RG: For Greater Music is a benefit concert featuring diverse performances from FSU College of Music students. Guests will have the chance to network with other students, community members and faculty members while enjoying a free catered meal! Since venue rental, catering and decorations are funded by SGA, we have the privilege of making this event free for all to attend! Since the event is free, we ask guests to try to donate prior to help us purchase instruments and materials for Title One music programs. Whether it’s $5 or $5,000, every penny counts towards the fight of making music education accessible.

HC: What are the goals of your event?

RG: As this is our first year, I will be happy just watching the concert run successfully! I am really hoping for a large turnout and to fill up the venue’s capacity (300). In regard to fundraising, I am really optimistic that we will be able to raise enough for the schools we are supporting to really make a difference for their programs. My main goal is to raise awareness for the disadvantages Title One schools face and have all attendees have a fun and inspiring evening. We will be inviting the students and parents from the schools we are giving money to, and I also hope they are inspired by the collegiate professional performances we are having!

HC: Where will it be, and how can FSU students participate?

RG: For Greater Music is taking place on April 16 at 6 p.m. at Dunlap Champions Club! FSU students can participate by reserving their free ticket to the catered concert here.

HC: Do you hope to make it a recurring event?

RG: I would love to see this benefit concert be a recurring event. This initiative staying alive and continuing to grow is vital to Leon County music programs. The work our benefit concert committee has put in this year has laid a great foundation for the future, and I really hope the future sisterhood takes this project on and continues to nurture and grow it!

For more information, please follow our social media pages @forgreatermusic for updates and reach out to forgreatermusic@gmail.com with any inquiries! We hope to see you there!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm a sophomore at Florida State, majoring in social work :).