Career > Money

How To Be the Next Big Scholarship Winner

Earning enough funding for college can be tough. In fact, winning enough scholarship money to cover the endless amount of college fees feels impossible at times. Questions like, “Where do I find scholarships?”, “How do I know if this is a good application?” and “Is this really worth applying to?” spiral through our heads. But luckily, advice is on the way!

Mariah Jacobs, a current student at Washington University, is a first-generation college student who earned enough scholarships to cover her entire tuition and housing. Just a couple of the many scholarships Jacobs won include Support Our Scholars ($10,000), Jason Beaird ($1,000), WashU Scholarship ($70,000), Chums ($1,000) and Josie House of Help, which provides free dorm supplies. I asked Jacobs for advice to help out other students, and here is what she said.

Her Campus (HC): When did you first start applying to scholarships?

Mariah Jacobs (MJ): I started around the same time as college applications, which I regret. Even though I had a late start, I never really stopped applying. Even if I take a hiatus from applying, I’m always going to go back to trying. Think of applying to scholarships as a job—something that you just have to do. So if you’re reading this article, start applying right now.

HC: How did you prepare for scholarship applications?

MJ: I spent a lot of time writing essays and making resumes during my senior year. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to apply to as many scholarships as I could while balancing school and college applications; the applications for college and scholarships asked similar questions. It logically made sense to focus on applying to scholarships instead of getting a part-time job since it required less time commitment.

HC: How did you learn what types of scholarships were best to apply to?

MJ: Initially, it was just trial and error. I originally focused my time on applying to big scholarships like Coca-Cola and Gates Foundation. But, to be honest, I never made it beyond round 2 in scholarships like those. I never got frustrated at not winning anything because it was only about an hour to three hours of my time per application. Some applications only took me 30 minutes, so I decided to focus on the little scholarships that people often overlooked. Towards the end of my senior year, I applied to scholarships valued under $10,000, targeting mainly scholarships of $1,000. I used my college career center as a resource to find these small scholarships.

HC: What do you think was the difference between the scholarships you won versus those you lost?

MJ: I think it was the fact that the application pool was so small. Also, I tried to add as much personality as I could so that you see my voice shining through when you read my essays.

HC: Do you think academic standing or extracurriculars significantly impacted your winnings, or were they more based on your essays?

MJ: They were interdependent. My academic standing, extracurriculars and essays all come together to write a story. I was a girl with an outstanding capacity to persevere.

HC: What tools and resources did you use to help you with scholarships?

MJ: I mainly used my college career center and teachers at my school. My senior year, I also had a mentor through CollegePoint, a CollegeBoard organization, that helped me find scholarships.

HC: How did you ‘filter out’ scholarships that weren’t worth applying to?

MJ: Don’t apply to Niche scholarships or any on websites like that unless you like gambling. Those are essentially lottery tickets. It doesn’t hurt to apply to big scholarships like Coca-Cola, but your chances of winning are slim. My advice: stick to local and specific. For example, I won SOS, which was only for women and seniors in Central Florida high schools. Chums was another local one for Black women in Central Florida.

HC: How do you balance your time between school and applications?

MJ: I didn’t. I was hanging by a thread senior year. At that point, I stopped focusing much attention on passing AP exams and instead looked for scholarships. But looking back, it was definitely all worth it.

HC: What would you say to people who are struggling to win and feeling unmotivated? What advice would you give them?

MJ: A scholarship is literally free money; there is nothing better. Even if you don’t win, it doesn’t take that much extra work to apply. Use the same essays from college applications. I earned $1,000 in around 30 minutes. I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s possible.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram,  Twitter,  TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest! 

Hi, my name is Zara and I am a sophomore at FSU that is thrilled to be a part of HER Campus!