“Hey Chicks!” A Chat With TikToker The Goldcoaster MT

Recently I got the exciting opportunity to chat with Madelyn Theresa, the gal behind the popular TikTok account The Goldcoaster MT. We talked all things lifestyle, her experience on social media and her plans for the future!

MT has over 150,000 followers on TikTok and she usually shares Get Ready with Me (GRWM) content, little clips of sailing and photos of her life taken on film. This experience happened for MT overnight and she told me she’d never seriously considered doing social media before this. “It just happened overnight! I would like to say I was manifesting it for a while but I basically had this one video that went viral of me at polo. At that moment I sort of realized ‘Oh my god I have an audience.’” Out of all the opportunities social media has brought her, she says she’s most grateful for the engagement with her audience. “Talking to all these girls in the comments and getting to go back and forth with them, that’s my most favorite thing. They’re funny like they’re so fun and when they tell me that I make them happy I just feel like that’s the most fulfilling thing ever because I love the engagement, it’s so fun to me.”

Despite having so many followers, MT notes that it’s really important to her to not only engage with her audience, but to try to remain really down to Earth while doing social media. She says that one way she does this is by doing TikTok more for passion than money. “This is probably not relatable for everyone but my TikTok and everything I do basically is not monetized. I think by not really having a very strict schedule in terms of posting and by not having that influence of monetization it’s just like a passion for me so I do it out of passion.” She recognizes how privileged she is to be able to do so out of passion and that not everyone is able to not monetize their account but she said she feels very lucky to do it because she loves it.

MT is from the New England area and if you click on any video of hers you can see the influence on her style with collared shirts and fluffy hair; she calls her look “coastal granddaughter”, a spin-off of the coastal grandma aesthetic. “How I found my personal style is, I forget where I heard this but to dress how you want to be perceived so if you want to be perceived as intelligent dress intelligently or if you want to be perceived as fun dress like that so I always think about that when I get dressed.”

Her favorite season is summer and she notes her go-to staple summer outfit drives home the coastal New England aesthetic. “My staple outfit was these low-waisted midi slip skirts that I got at Brandy Melville that I still wear even though it’s fall, and a white tank top. I love those with platform slides or kitten heels to dress it up.” She says she wore that outfit nearly every weekend this summer! With this look being her signature summer outfit, we talked about the importance of having a few signatures that people identify with you. “Having signatures will make anyone feel so confident!” This could be anything from a specific lipstick shade to a favorite perfume fragrance. “My boyfriend’s sister wears a red lip and I really associate that with her.”

With the majority of MT’s content revolving around her getting-ready routines, she highlights some of her favorite skin and hair care steps and products. “Double cleansing I love. Laroche Posay moisturizer you can get it at CVS, it’s just so great it always makes my skin so glowy.” In order to help achieve that glowy look she’s known for, she also uses coconut oil. “I put it on my eyebrows, on my eyes, and on my lips and I have tried using coconut oil as a makeup remover and it does work!”

As far as hair care goes MT loves to showcase her beautiful, fluffy big hair on her account and I got some insider tips on how she achieves this look! “I love Amika products and they have this fabulous repair mask that I think I said in one of my TikToks was liquid gold because it is so amazing. I do it like at least once a week.” She also highlights the fact that she rarely uses heat on her hair and prefers to use rollers instead.

“What’s something you really believe in that you want people to know about you?” I asked. The thing that MT thinks is the most important to know is how critical it is to “be your own best friend.” When I asked her to elaborate on this she said, “I think it is the most crucial thing to be a confident woman, to be independent, and to be your own best friend is the most amazing thing that I’ve found. And especially finding that at a younger age will be so beneficial.

I asked how she practices being her own best friend and she says she focuses on alone time and cultivating her interests. “Alone time is a big part of it and I think also fully exploring any interest you have. Take those interests that you have always been fascinated by and fully indulge yourself in that.” She admits that this way of thinking is pretty much where she found the confidence to dress the way she does. “I just value my own perception of myself so much that dressing how I want to dress means so much more to me than someone else’s judgment.”

MT has plans to continue social media in college where she intends to go to a sailing school to double major in journalism and business and wants to shift her content to focus on more sailing. I loved talking to her and getting to know a little bit more about the person behind the screen and I wish for nothing but the best for her!

Make sure you check her out on TikTok @thegoldcoastermt and on Instagram @madelynttheresa!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hey, I'm Chloe and I'm a senior at Florida State! I'm a staff writer at HerCampus FSU and a fun fact about me is that I'm also a certified lifeguard! I love hammocking and reading outside and I'm always down to go for a swim!