Alpha Gamma Delta Bid Day
Alpha Gamma Delta Bid Day
Photo by Rebuild Media
Life > Experiences

Behind the Scenes of Being a Sorority President

Greek life is among the largest organizations at Florida State University (FSU). Being part of a sorority/fraternity is one of the most rewarding experiences one can have. It allows for growth, new friendships and leadership opportunities. Being a leader constitutes great responsibility and facing many challenges. Despite the hardships, leading a sisterhood is a gratifying experience. Bailey Henson, the president of Alpha Gamma Delta, former Director of Leadership, Vice President of Campus Relations and Vice President of Recruitment, is here to discuss what it is like to be the president of a Panhellenic chapter at FSU.

Her Campus (HC): What inspired you to become chapter president?

Bailey Henson (BH): I was inspired to become chapter president because this chapter has truly changed my life for the better and pushed me to become the woman I am today, so I wanted to give back to the organization and inspire that same growth in others.

HC: What advice would you give to younger members?

BH: My advice for younger members would be to cherish every moment and take every opportunity. The time goes by quicker than you think it will so go to every event, apply for that position [and] sit with that new person at a meal. You never know where it’ll take you or what memories you will make.

HC: What is your biggest takeaway as chapter president?

BH: My biggest takeaway as chapter president has been that individuals have so much potential to make a difference in each other’s lives. I have watched the women of Alpha Gam time and time again prove to each other that this sisterhood is one that always has your back. Since taking this position, I’ve gained such a holistic perspective of the inner workings of our chapter, and how our members truly cherish each other. Additionally, [I] hope … everyone can recognize the impact they make on others, and even when you don’t know it, someone appreciates you.”

HC: How does it feel to lead a large organization?

BH: Leading such a large organization is challenging at times but is one of the most rewarding experiences of my collegiate career. It has taught me how to manage the needs of different groups and allocate my time best. I couldn’t do it without my amazing executive board, who lead with me and inspire me daily.

HC: Why is Alpha Gam special to you?

BH: Alpha Gam is special to me in so many ways. It is a place full of uplifting women to share the college experience with. It is support through the highest highs and the lowest lows. It is a place that has shaped me into the best version of myself. Alpha Gam is where I met my best friends and truly started to find myself.

HC: What legacy do you hope to leave on Alpha Gam?

BH: The legacy I hope to leave on Alpha Gam is one of nothing but kindness and confidence. This chapter has cultivated so much confidence in me and my abilities as a leader, and I want each member to recognize their ability to make a difference in the organization. I also hope to leave a legacy of an environment of kindness, as it is one of the most important qualities you can extend to others and one of the most impactful on a chapter experience. You never know how you can change someone’s day simply by extending them that kindness.

HC: What do you hope Alpha Gam will achieve in the future?

BH: I hope that Alpha Gam will continue to thrive and be a place where women at Florida State University feel seen and welcomed. That it continues to foster the same growth in others that I have experienced in myself. Lastly, I hope that Alpha Gam will continue to inspire generations of women to be loving, grow to be leaders and create lasting friendships.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I am a sophomore at Florida State University majoring in psychology. I enjoy listening to music, going to concerts, and learning about new things!