If you’re an on-campus resident at Florida State University (FSU) this semester, you may be familiar with the Inter-Residence Hall Council (IRHC), a student organization dedicated to creating an atmosphere of inclusion, diversity and fun for all residents. This semester, the halls focused on promoting wellness and scholarship through their events, bringing campus resources right to their doorstep. Navigating such a big school can be a struggle for students who have a hard time taking the first step, or who simply don’t know where to begin when exploring what FSU has to offer. In addition to this, it can be difficult to coordinate time. However, that’s what IRHC is there for—to give residents all the tools they need for success, all in their very own courtyard. 

With such a great number of underclassmen living on campus, having a group in each hall dedicated to them means the world. IRHC has hosted several amazing events throughout the year to give students an opportunity to get to know their dorms and everyone in them. Looking back on a successful year, several dorms went above and beyond to make this year one to remember. 

Starting IRHC events in October means mixing wellness with the spooky season. The Azalea/Magnolia hall council began Halloween week with a screening of It. Students were able to spend the night doing some self-care, splurging on popcorn and meeting residents in the two halls over a scary movie. Hall council’s main goal is to build up a sense of community in the halls so that every student feels safe enough to bond with their peers and share spooky memories together. A 10/10 movie and a 100/10 night. 

Wildwood Hall hosted a Student Success Fair Pie-a-thlon mid-November colliding yummy treats with academic success. Students stopped by for a chance to pie their hall president in the face, grab some food and talk with other organizations from all over campus. CHAW, Unconquered by Debt, Career Center and the CARE program were all present. Every student is a little nervous or anxious about the future and what it holds, but talking to organizations that specialize in teaching healthy finances and mental health makes the future less scary. November was a month of scholarship and Wildwood aced it perfectly. 

Wrapping up the year and heading into finals season is always hectic and a little stressful. Landis Hall helped their residents relieve some tension with donuts and study tips. “Donut forget to study” was a hit, with a Kahoot game and prizes to give students that extra boost to tackle their exams. Although scholarship was an important component of November’s events, it’s just as important to give residents a space to have fun and enjoy themselves with friends. Even on a chilly fall night, with finals looming over everyone’s heads, IRHC brought smiles and warmth. 

If you aren’t familiar with the IRHC, you might think it’s just another student organization with a fancy title in the Housing Department, but when you stop to see all the incredible work they’ve done for students this year, you’ll realize you couldn’t be more wrong. IRHC made it their mission to create events throughout the year that were engaging, inclusive and fostered community above all else. Hall council has spent this semester connecting with residents all across campus, providing students with resources for success (both personally and academically) and turning dorms into homes. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm a second-year majoring in Public Relations. I'm an avid writer, although my niche is my personal column that recommends songs and new upcoming artists. I love making Spotify playlists, Pinterest poetry and all things Taylor Swift!