A Peek Into Greek Life at FSU With the President of Sigma Delta Tau

In 2022, Florida State University (FSU) was named the No. 1 “Best Greek Life College in America” by Niche. Sorority life is extremely prominent, as thousands of women belong to the 17 chapters here at FSU. With all this popularity, the pressure to maintain a sorority is even more demanding than ever. I was able to speak with Clarisse Chatfield, the president of Sigma Delta Tau (SDT), about the responsibilities and functions of being the face of a sorority.

Her Campus (HC): Hi Clarisse! Can you give us some background information about yourself?

Clarisse Chatfield (CC): Yes! I’m currently a junior at FSU and my major is professional sales and business analytics. I’ll be graduating in May, so I still have another year here. I grew up in Tampa, Florida and my whole family still lives in Tampa. I was always involved in extracurriculars throughout high school. For instance, I played the violin and was part of SGA.

HC: What made you want to join Greek life in the first place? 

CC: I have three older cousins that joined Greek life at other schools, and I was impressed to see their sorority sisters at each of their weddings and holiday dinners. They have such a great bond, so as I was transitioning into FSU, I wanted to find that same kind of friendship. I immediately knew that I wanted to go through the recruitment process.

HC: Before becoming the president of Sigma Delta Tau, what other involvements did you have in the sorority?

CC: It took me a while to get accustomed to the sorority and start building up the confidence and drive to get involved, so I wasn’t truly involved until my sophomore year. I was on the New Member and Philanthropy Committees at first. The year after that, I was the recruitment assistant and Homecoming chair. Excitingly, SDT won Homecoming that year! These roles led me to run for president. 

HC: What, or who, inspired you to run for president?   

CC: I was definitely inspired by the women around me. After feeling supported by people in this chapter, I gained confidence and assurance in myself. The chapter nominated me for this position for a reason, and I was there to support them. That has been and still is, my motivating factor.

HC: What kinds of responsibilities come along with being the president of a sorority?

CC: There’s definitely a multitude of responsibilities. One of the main things I do is go to as many events as I can and be as present in the chapter as possible. I also work with our National headquarters, Panhellenic and the other three councils. I serve as a liaison between our chapter and the rest of Greek life on campus. Lastly, I try to get SDT connected internally and externally. 

HC: Has being president helped you make connections with women in other sororities?

CC: Yes! We all go to the president’s council and we are blessed to participate in workshops, such as the Greek Leadership Summit. By taking different trips with the other chapter presidents, I can build so many different connections and it has opened my eyes to everything in the Panhellenic community. I am very grateful to have strengthened my relationships with other chapters.

HC: Do you have any encouraging words for anyone who is going, or thinking of going, through rush at FSU? 

CC: Going through recruitment is one of the best decisions I have ever made. So, my advice is to keep an open mind and stay true to yourself. The process is designed to put you where you’re supposed to be, and I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. 

Thank you, Clarisse! Hopefully, this interview can reveal aspects of this role that are not commonly known. There are so many behind-the-scenes obligations of heading a sorority that I was previously unaware of. The pressures of leading a sorority can be intense, but they appear to be well worth it!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Welcome to my profile! My name is Brooke Belforte and I am currently a Junior at Florida State University. I am majoring in Public Relations and minoring in English.