Having a passion for philanthropy is a very admirable trait, and I sat down with Phi Mu’s Director of Fall Philanthropy, Emily Escobar, to learn more about what drives her love for philanthropy. Phi Mu is hosting an upcoming event “Phi Fest,” at which all of the money raised will be donated to Phi Mu’s philanthropy, Children’s Miracle Network. Emily gave me the inside scoop on Phi Fest and why she loves her chapter’s philanthropy so much.

Her Campus (HC): Hi Emily! Can you tell us a little bit about why you wanted to get involved with philanthropy in Phi Mu?

Emily Escobar (EE): For me personally, I have always known I have a strong passion for philanthropy. I feel lucky that while I was growing up, my parents really emphasized the importance of giving back to the community. They prioritized this for me and it helped give me the passion I have today for philanthropy. When I was in high school, I was involved with a small team who did philanthropy events with advent health. We would make bracelets and do other activities with children while they were undergoing treatment to make them feel less scared. I knew that I wanted to continue philanthropy in college. Becoming involved in philanthropy in Phi Mu and being the Director of Fall Philanthropy has given me the opportunity to work alongside other people who have the same passion as me, and it’s been really great.

HC: What does the leadership look like for philanthropy at Phi Mu?

EE: I am the Director of Fall Philanthropy, and one of my sisters is the Director of Spring Philanthropy. We are responsible for planning the two biggest Phi Mu philanthropy events of the year, with the help of our two teams–vision team and the sponsorship team.

HC: What event have you and your teams been planning for this fall?

EE: The event is called Phi fest, and it’s a fall festival that will be held at the Phi Mu house with fun activities and food. All of the money raised will go to our philanthropy, the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. Some past events we’ve had have been Milkshakes for Miracles, Picnic With a Purpose and Mu Madness.

HC: Can you tell us a little more about some of the activities at Phi Fest?

EE: Phi fest will have live music, food, and some local vendors. This year, some of the vendors coming are The Frothers’ Daughter and Sparked Jewelry. I am most excited for the event “Pie a Mu,” where people who bought special tickets get to pie a Phi Mu sister in the face!

HC: Is Phi Fest open to any Florida State students?

EE: The event is open to everyone on campus. We have put up posters, posted on social media, and have included the ticket link in the Phi Mu Instagram bio so we are hoping for a big turnout!

HC: Can you tell us a little more about Phi Mu’s philanthropy this year?

EE: Phi Mu’s Philanthropy is Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. This organization is a nonprofit that raises money for various children’s hospitals. Phi Mu even has a “miracle child,” a child with a chronic illness who we have been able to visit and be a rock for when she has to undergo difficult things. Some of the older sisters at Phi Mu have been able to watch her grow up, and this year, our miracle child will be at Phi Fest, which we are so excited about!

HC: What does philanthropy mean to you?

EE: For me, philanthropy gives me purpose, and it’s important to remember it will never go away. Children’s cancer will always exist, and we are still trying to find new cures and conduct more research. A lot of cancers have only been researched for adults, and kids really need the funding too. My involvement with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals has been a very important journey for me, as I am able to give back, and I hope to pass along my love of philanthropy to my own kids one day.

HC: Do you have any ideas about how philanthropy in Greek life should be changed?

EE: For the future of philanthropy on campus at Florida State, I’d love to have conjoined events with other chapters on campus. Philanthropy is an amazing thing and it would be fun to work with different sororities on campus and learn about their philanthropy!

Phi Fest will be on Oct. 25 at the Phi Mu House from 5-8 p.m. For more information on the event and to buy tickets, click here!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Abby is a third-year at Florida State majoring in International Relations and minoring in Underwater Crime Scene Investigation. When she isn't studying or writing, you can find her hiking, thrifting, watching movies, or reading a good book.