Procrastinating Finals Week as Told by the Grinch

Now that Thanksgiving break (and dinner) has come and gone, there’s only one thing standing in the way of college students and their long-awaited winter break: finals week. Yup, it’s that time of the year again. Luckily for us, we have one whole week to prepare for finals, giving us plenty of time to catch up on lecture notes, finally crack open that “mandatory” textbook we bought at the beginning of the semester but have never even taken out of the plastic wrap, go to tutoring sessions, make a visit to office hours to beg for extra credit and —of course— procrastinate.

You know how it goes…

Monday morning rolls around and you go to your classes, where your professor hands out a study guide. You’re feeling confident and ready to start studying early, until you look at the first page of the study guide and have no clue what any of the stuff on there is.

You keep flipping through, only to find more unknown material. Looking around, you notice everyone else looks pretty chill, which only adds to your annoyance. How are you the only clueless one? You only missed like, five class all semester. Okay, maybe six. Now you feel stupid for sleeping in all those mornings when crawling out of bed seemed like mission impossible.

After a long day of regretting past mistakes and creating an incredibly detailed, color-coded study schedule for the whole week, you get home feeling #ready to take on finals 2k15. You have exactly one week to get your sh*t together. This is gonna be your year.

…Until your roommate asks you if you want to go to Clyde’s for Mandatory Makeout Monday, which you haven’t been to in like… a week.

Waking up the next morning with the worst hangover since Halloween, you sense that horrible gut feeling creeping up again, the same one that any seasoned procrastinator has felt too many times before. You walk out into the living room, disheveled and humiliated, where your roommates look at you like you have two heads. “Didn’t you say you were going to wake up early to study today?” Pshhh, you don’t remember saying that …or much more from last night. 

Finally, after ignoring the fact that you slept through your Tuesday class, you sit down with a bottle of Gatorade and a stack of books you haven’t looked at all semester.

Hours pass, yet you comprehend nothing. Even with the stuff you do get, you can’t fully focus because you’re studying this far in advance. Your last-minute, works-best-under-pressure persona isn’t used to this.

As if it couldn’t get any worse, you get on Facebook to procrastinate some more and see someone you know posting all over the FSU Facebook pages selling a study guide for the same class you’re in. Like, you really studied so far in advance that you had time to make your own study guide? *Eye-rolling emoji*

Procrastination is an art, one that you’ve perfected over time. Once the hangover starts finally going away and you can bear to look at food again, you make your way over to the fridge. Halfway into a bag of chips and a jar of salsa, you glance over at your pile of work again. Continue munching.

The post-hangover hunger hits hard after your appetizer, and now you’re getting real creative with the procrastinating. Suddenly, Chipotle sounds really good. Once again, studying can wait.

The next morning, you make it to all of your classes and even get some studying in! But all of that productivity is really draining, and you pass out the second you get home for a well-deserved nap. Hours later, your roommate busts in asking you to go to Stroz with her, but all you can do is rage at her for waking you up from your nap.

The rest of the week flies by and you make another bad decision to go out all weekend, and now it’s officially finals week. The self-loathing begins Sunday afternoon, and after debating whether or not to get up from your bed to hit the books, you realize that you’re in too deep now. Realizing you messed up yet again, you decide to go to bed before the real panic starts.

Something tells me that although the possibilities are endless for how to make use of the week before finals, most of us can expect to be seen at the Strip or Tabu this week instead of Club Stroz. Then again, maybe this will be your year…

Hi! I 'm Sara. You can find me roaming the streets of Tallahassee, Florida, in hopes of finding some cool people, places, and things to write about. Originally from Coral Springs, Florida, I've ventured 8 hours away from home to study Public Relations and Creative Writing at Florida State University. I like creativity, dance parties, writing, traveling, reading, and having a good time, all the time. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.