The Problem with Rape On Campus No One Seems to Talk About

*This article does not represent the views of Her Campus FSU

As Collegiettes, we are surrounded by a very specific crowd and culture while we’re in college, and there is a specific problem that affects all students – especially women. There is an undoubted epidemic of rape and sexual assault on college campuses. They have higher incidences of violence, especially sexual violence, than the larger population that surrounds them. Colleges are not typically safe.

One in four women will experience rape or sexual assault on campus yet 88 percent of students do not report it. The best way for us to combat these statistics very relevant to college culture would be to address these issues, but schools don’t do this. A university’s first job is to protect the institution and the brand, not the students, and this is evident in many stories we hear from rape survivors who are students. When students report a rape they are often faced with questions regarding their actions and blaming the victim happens more often than people realize. Many schools discourage police reports of rape because it becomes public record and that school’s reputation can come into question. Out of hundreds of reports on college rape, the large majority only results in a few expulsions.

Courtesy: Carbonated.tv

It seems the rationale behind colleges making it difficult to report rape is that there will be low statistical numbers of rape if it goes unreported. Incidents of improper care of victims are widespread and seem to be affecting all schools, but schools that address the problem first will be known as the “rape campuses.” There is a worry among schools in admitting to a rape problem even when, in reality, all colleges have a rape problem. All universities and colleges seem to be in consensus that they take reports seriously, but their actions show otherwise. Perpetrators are protected because there is a financial incentive to do so. Men are more likely to sue over accusations than their victims. Many college punishments for assault can range from suspension, a fine, a warning, an assignment, community service and “expulsion upon graduation.” Universities take cheating more seriously than assault.

Courtesy: Demonix

People can agree that rape is bad, but when faced with the realities of rape it seems that people have strange reactions. There seems to be an overall suspicion that surrounds the victim and she/he are often sl*t shamed, blamed and untrusted. In reality, rape and sexual assault have the same percentage of false reports that any other crime has. The best research around the world puts the statistics of false reporting around two to eight percent, which means that about 90 percent of reports are not false. For example, most people you might talk to at FSU think Erica Kinsman is a liar. As Jameis Winston was praised and became more and more popular, Erica Kinsman started receiving death threats, hateful comments from students and fans and dropped out of her dream school. Regardless of your personal feelings towards this case, the hate that Erica got was unjust, especially since nobody knows the truth and many people arbitrarily insulted and degraded a woman who is potentially a victim of rape.

Speaking of FSU, just like every other school, we are not immune to this problem of rape. Erica Kinsman is the most well known person to speak out against Florida State’s reaction, but she is not the only one and many students have criticized the university’s handling of rape. FSU currently has a Title IX lawsuit filed against it, an increasing occurrence happening to universities and colleges around America as victims begin speaking out. Title IX is a gender equity law that promotes equal education. Schools that keep predators on campus are contributing to a hostile environment, which is in violation of Title IX.

Courtesy: Rolling Stone

Victims who speak up about these issues often face outrageous retaliation. Universities spend a lot of time and money trying to build a community and sense of pride among students and fans. Going against a community that is so much bigger than you can be seen as disloyal. Many victims have said things like, “My rape was bad, but the way I was treated was worse.” Schools are beginning to combat these issues through education. FSU has freshman orientation skits, online classes and the various posters on campus that preach “kNOw MORE.” These are all great steps to help the student population at FSU become more aware of a culture of violence and rape that seem inherent in college.

However, there still seems to be a lot of misconceptions surrounding rape and not enough emphasis on how to treat victims of rape. Learning about consent is important, but we seem to ignore a large part of rape. We need to understand why rape happens and what to do and how to help victims after it happens. It is actually pretty normal and common behavior for victims of rape to not report for days, months and even years because of fear, denial and shame. Believe people when they tell you and don’t dismiss someone’s experiences. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.