The Pressure Around Resolutions: Is It Too Late?

As we all know, New Year’s resolutions come around once a year to question what we can improve about ourselves, anything that can make us proud to say “New Year, New Me” without lying to ourselves and every one of our followers on our social media platforms. Each year, we make lists and write down things that we want to internally or externally improve, and I honestly think it is a great chance to reflect on ourselves … but with all the pressure around these resolutions, most of us break and forget about our goals by February. I am here to tell you, however, that maybe you can have goals and resolutions that don’t start on Jan. 1. I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but you have to hear me out. What if I told you, we could make a list of goals, at any time of the year, and achieve them without all of the pressure that surrounds New Year’s resolutions. But what about “New Year, New Me?” you may be asking. Well, I think we should just focus on our new saying, “Some Point in the Year, Improved version of myself.” Has a nice ring to it, don’t you think? I want to take you on a resolutions journey where we will delve into New Year’s cultures around the world, ones primarily that do not start celebrating on Jan. 1, along with simple ideas that you can add to your list of “Some Point in the Year” resolutions.

Courtesy: NPR

First up, the Chinese New Year. Did you know that the Chinese New Year doesn’t begin until Feb. 5? You can start your new year in February if you want to because you know what they say—“It’s New Year’s somewhere”…or something like that. Go ahead and start that resolution in February, a majority of the world will be celebrating right by your side. Want to sound more educated and have a response to all the haters asking why you started your resolutions in February? Well, I can give you two responses, either (1) “Well, Chinese New Year, also known as the Spring Festival or Lunar New Year, signifies the beginning of the spring harvest season. Pretty cool that new beginnings can happen on days other than Jan. 1” or (2) “It’s none of your business.” I personally like option one, unless your Some Point in the Year resolution is being a bad a**.

Courtesy: Happy Diwali 2013

Another New Year that does not start on Jan. 1 is Diwali. This New Year is celebrated on Oct. 27, 2019, and dates may vary depending on the year. This holiday is celebrated by Hindu, Sikhs, and Jains all over the world. Diwali, also known as the Festival of Lights, marks the start of the New Year for the Marwari and Gujarati communities in North India. Since the days vary by year, it is likely that the New Year for these cultures will not always be on Oct. 27 where it depends on the Hindu Lunar Calendar. Some years, the celebration can even occur in November. This comes to show that New Years are always changing but that will never stop these cultures from celebrating. Even more heartwarming, this holiday isn’t about creating unrealistic pressures on ourselves but instead the “victory of light over darkness, good over evil and knowledge over ignorance.” Rather than concentrating on our flaws and what we think we need to change, maybe it could be enlightening (excuse my pun), to focus on creating light rather than darkness and educating ourselves (and you’re reading this article which counts, so you are one step ahead). 

Courtesy: Rehlat

One more New Year that I would like to share with you is the Raʼs as-Sanah al-Hijrīyah, also known as the Islamic New Year. This New Year will start on Aug. 30, 2019. This celebration also varies every year as it is based on the first month of the Muslim Calendar. The reason I would like to share this holiday with you specifically is that each day begins at sunset. As singer Mike Posner said, “Beginnings always hide themselves in ends.” The sun may be setting to signify the end of the day, but it also sets to signify the beginning of a new year.

I do think goals are important to have, but you can find comfort in cultures around the world that not every new beginning has to be your new beginning. Set some goals, be motivated and take some pressure off yourself. You are great, and I know you can do it. I wish you luck on all of your Some Point in The Year resolutions.

So, let me reiterate: Is it too late to make resolutions? Hell no.

Here are a few simple ones to start with:

1. Smile at yourself in the mirror today, make it a habit.

2. Find a song that makes you feel, makes you want to dance, laugh, cry, or all of the above.

3. Laugh extra hard at your friends’ jokes.

4. Learn something new today or every day if you have the opportunity.

5. Sing really loud in your car, I don’t care if you’re stuck at a red light.

6. Call or text your friends and family and let them know how much you love them.

7. Eat an apple (I have heard it helps to keep doctors at a healthy distance).

8. Stay off social media for a day and take a break.

9. Step outside and just enjoy a few moments of silence and take in the atmosphere around you. Feel the sun soaking into your skin.

10. Learn from today to improve your tomorrow. 

Just take things day by day. Starting over isn’t always a bad thing because, in the end, you get a beginning. Happy Some Point in the Year, make it the best one yet.

Just one eccentric gal trying to use words to tell my story and yours!
    Her Campus at Florida State University.