The Power of a Dream: Seminole Source

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

Sitting at a table in Einstein’s is sophomore Frederick Adenuga, the face behind the recently launched Seminole Source. It’s only his second year at FSU, but don’t be surprised if his name begins to pop up as he continues advancing through his college career. Currently he is a senate member of SGA, Vice President of the IFC (Inter-Fraternity Council), and a second year student with 126+ credit hours. But now, Adenuga can also check off creating his own business.

Seminole Source is an online tell-all social media page for everything FSU related – and “everything” means everything. The publication includes information as wide-ranging as iPad rental locations to historical information of campus building to methods of getting home after a night of drinking. Adenuga thought that the University needed a single go to source after he was misinformed as an incoming freshman that the best dorm to live in wouldn’t be Landis but, in fact, Kellum hall.

As an Entrepreneur and Political Science double major, his field of interest is wide and varied but his passion and addiction is clear: starting from scratch and building a business that will change someone’s life. He’s been working on Seminole Source along with Logan Harris and Mitchell Groff, since he came to FSU. The additions of Harris and Groff, also sophomores, proved to be extremely beneficial to the learning process of owning a business. Adenuga has learned that through opening his business up to others, he has to adjust his thinking to incorporate other ideas that might run the business better. He’s gotten less offended by being told “no” (what parent likes to be told how to raise their child?), and more into the “tell me how to do it or tell me why not” aspect of business. Clearly, this business is his child, his team members are his family.

While he comes off confident and passionate about Seminole Source, he’s extremely humble and refuses to take any credit outside of the idea behind it.  He understands that in order for this to run smoothly, in order to create an environment that allows everyone to participate, he cannot allow for just one person to accredit themselves to the success of Seminole Source. Many, many people are involved in the countless hours of work and pitching that went into launching Seminole Source and though his title says “CEO”, he certainly doesn’t picture it like that. There aren’t managers “but motivators” on the team and they inspire the 17 writers (currently 12 active) to create quality work.

During the interview, not once does Adenuga use the word “I” loosely, in fact he barely uses it at all. He reiterates that Seminole Source is the production of a group and not an individual. But that’s not to say that should a writer or team member not perform up to standards that they will remain there for long. There is high demand to work at Seminole Source. Adenuga says, in a rather surprised tone, that “I have people coming up to me with their resumes and calling me Mr. Adenuga. I’m just like who are they talking about? That’s not me, I’m just Freddy”. As of yet, Seminole Source hasn’t seen any turnover rates because of how dedicated the team is to maintaining the publication.

Anyone is welcome to join the team; Adenuga has a great desire to keep the information constant and flowing. However, his greatest need is for content finders; the sort of fact checkers that will keep the writer’s busy. Content finders are the ones that discover places that accept FlexBucks, or discover the history of the architecture on campus, or inform students about classes offered at FSU that are not widely known. The Seminole Source team members write at least 2 articles a week that are under 500 words.

Adenuga’s dream came true when he hit the “launch” button at 8:30 a.m. in his living room on April 2, 2013. He was the only one in the room but it didn’t feel that way because he had an entire team of individuals as passionate as he was with him, waiting to push the button at the same time. Find out your dream. Find out your school. Find out your passion. But no matter what: “Find Out”.

Check Seminole Source out online at: http://seminolesource.com/ and make sure to like them no Facebook! 

My name is Mary Love and I'm a Senior and double major in English and Hotel Management at Florida State University.  I am more commonly found writing fiction pieces, and editing everything I can.  Her Campus is my first venture into published nonfiction and women's magazines.  I think Her Campus is a great resource for women who are both smart and feminine.  If you would like to contact me for an interview or to answer a Zodiac Question as Madame Mary, please email marylove@hercampus.com.