After Florida’s little “snow day” last week, things have been heating up around FSU. And with more heat, more clothes are shed, and more skin is exposed.  Skin is a blank canvas and ink is how many people choose to express themselves. Traced all the way back to the Ice Ages, tattoos have been used as a form of self- identification for centuries. From simple script to elaborate creations, the only limit to tattoos is the creator’s imagination.

While some ladies claim that size does matter (ahem), a tattoo’s size does not indicate its importance. Carissa Corpus recently got a colorful script tattoo that features her mother’s handwriting. “I really wanted it on my wrist because I’ve struggled with depression for quite some time now, and I used to self- harm. Having my mom’s handwriting cover some scars is a constant reminder of why I’m still here,” remarks Corpus.  Like a string tied around her finger, Corpus’ fresh ink will remind her of where she has been, but more importantly, where she is going.

I went all around the world looking for a gem like this. Little did I know that it was at home the whole time in Tallahassee on Meagan Presley! Featuring a compass and the continents going around her arm, Presley’s tattoo is a subtle yet fierce example of body art.

Looking for something more intricate? Try this beautiful mermaid tattoo Jessica Revilla rocks on her leg. From its bright and contrasting colors, to the detail on her fins, this mermaid represents just how intense tattoos can get.

Whether it’s is cute and flirty or bold and sexy, tattoos are a permanent form of expression. Anyone can rock an outfit, but it takes a certain type of person to rock a tattoo with confidence. So why not get a more lasting and meaningful accessory? Fashion trends come and go with the season, but tattoos are forever.

Want one of your own? Check out Euphoria on Gaines, Solid Ink on North Monroe, Roaring Ink on West Tennessee, or Sistine Skin on East 4th Avenue, to name a few locally known tattoo shops.  

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.