For some people (some very, very lucky people), it is clear what they will major in. They’ve known since they were kids what career they want, and spent all of high school preparing. For the rest of us lost souls, it’s not that easy. Most incoming freshman have something along the lines of “Oh-my-god-what-should-I-major-in-I-have-to-figure-out-what-I’m-going-to-DO-for-the rest-of-my-life” on their minds. Maybe you’re already an upperclassman that’s realizing their major is not a good fit anymore. That is why organizations like Advising First and the Career Center are so awesome! In addition to programs such as the Success Coaches and Academic Advisors, for the past month of September, Advising First has offered a series of conferences called Pizza and a Major Workshops. There are three such workshops, and each of them addresses a different concern (and yes, they do provide free pizza).
 The first is called Self-Exploration: “When I grow up, I want to be…”. This workshop gives you the opportunity to “find yourself”, as it were. It helps you to determine your current values, interests, and skills, and then see how those traits can be applied to possible career and major choices.
  The second workshop is called Major Exploration: Learning your MAJOR options, which, as the title suggests, lets you explore options for a major. One of the really cool things about college is that you really can major in just about anything. This workshop enables you to look past the ‘typical’ major options, and learn about other majors you’ve never heard of before. You may even find a major that’s practically tailor made for you!
  The third workshop is great for upperclassmen who are unsure about what they want to do after college. This one is called Career Exploration: Matching Majors to Occupations. Advisors work closely with you to help provide possible occupation ideas that correspond with your major. You may be surprised just how many options are out there. They also give advice on impressing future employers as well, like indentifying transferrable skills, locating internships, and gaining work experience.
  Didn’t make it to any of the workshops this year, but are still interested? Not to worry, the workshops are held again in the spring, usually sometime in February. All workshops are located in the Dunlap Success Center, so make sure to stop by. You may be surprised at what you can learn.

Jena LaMendola is a senior at Florida State University. She is studying editing, writing and media with a minor in communications. With a love for the new social medias around her and an interest in using them as well as the fundamentals of rhetoric she hopes to continue her studies in graduate school for public relations. Jena is originally from Manhattan, New York but grew up in south Florida. She has worked various internships and is on the writing, editing and public relations staff for Florida State's Clutch fashion magazine. Jena LaMendola was the former lead writer for her school's Her Campus branch and is excited to work with her fellow Campus Coorespondent to build and promote the FSU branch to the fullest. Jena loves fashion and the business behind it. She has previously worked as a PR intern for a company whose clients included a New York wedding dress designer as well as an intern for Mercedes- Benz Fashion Week. Jena hopes to bring her talents in writing and editing to her school's Her Campus branch and is excited for the school year.