Disney Channel Original Movies (DCOM) are a staple in my book when I am in the mood to get into the spooky season spirit or am simply looking for Halloween costume ideas. From the nostalgia to their happy endings, I always love re-watching these movies in October. In my personal opinion, I feel like Disney Channel movies have fallen off the wagon, but if you stick to the classics, you will never go wrong.

1. Halloweentown

Whenever I think of a classic Disney Channel Halloween movie, I always seem to think of Halloweentown. To convince you of how good it is, the basic premise is that a girl finds out that her grandma is a witch from Halloweentown. It is up to the protagonist, Marnie, to save the town. It looks like it was made in 1998 but it is a great movie to watch for a Halloween movie night. 

2. Twitches

I honestly had not seen Twitches until a couple of days ago, but I loved the movie. At its core, it is a movie about friendship and sisterhood. Two sisters meet for the first time and figure out they are magical twins from another world. While it definitely looks like it was made in the early 2000s, it is so fun and fast-paced. My friends and I decided to watch this movie at a Halloween movie night and it was so fun to laugh and reminisce!

3. Halloweentown High

If you liked Halloweentown, you are sure to enjoy Halloweentown High. I like to think of it like Teen Beach 2 because the characters from another world are now introduced to the mortal world. Marnie wants a better relationship between Halloweentown and the mortal world. However, there is an evil force in the Knights of the Iron Dagger, so they must ensure that the students’ identities remain a mystery. I enjoyed the movie and it is a great sequel in my book.

4. Girl vs. Monster

Girl vs. Monster is a great option to watch if you are looking for a more recent movie. Olivia Holt from Kickin’ It stars as Skylar in a film about a girl discovering that her family is filled with monster hunters. She accidentally releases a monster in the basement when she tries to sneak out of her house. It is up to Skylar to save her friends and family. It is such a fun movie to get you in the Halloween spirit and also has a great playlist!

5. Twitches Too

If you liked Twitches, you will love Twitches Too. With a larger budget, it was fun to see all the magical components in the second movie. While they changed the actress of Illena, it was so cute to see the love story unfold. The two sisters are also in college, so students can relate to them trying to figure out what they are doing with their life.

6. Return to Halloweentown

It is honestly so sad that Sara Paxton could not be Marnie in the last Halloweentown because of a scheduling conflict. The movie’s plot is that Marnie starts to attend college at Halloweentown University. Marnie soon finds that she is the reason why they cannot practice magic at the university, since the portal between the mortal and Halloweentown is open year-round. Marnie and her friends find a box in a dungeon with her last name, and adventure ensues!

7. Invisible Sister

In a classic Disney Channel movie plot, Cleo always feels she is in the shadow of her older sister Molly. A scientific experiment performed by Cleo turned a moth invisible. Molly unknowingly consumes the moth, which makes her invisible. Cleo has to find a cure for Molly in the next 24 hours or the invisibility will be permanent. I honestly don’t remember anything specific about this movie, but I feel like it has many similarities to other Disney Channel Original Movies.

If you don’t have the time to watch a Disney Channel movie, you should watch a Halloween episode. For example, A.N.T. Farm turns into MutANT Farm, where the students in the A.N.T. Farm are monsters. There are such fun episodes to get you in the mood for Halloween. I also love Wizards of Waverly Place because there are some special guests from the wizarding world.

I hope this ranking gets you excited about Halloween!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Ava is a freshman here at FSU. She is majoring in Political Science and Psychology! She is involved in Alpha Gam, Freshman Leadership Institute, Leading Women of Tomorrow, etc. You will probably find her on campus reading or listening to a true crime podcast.