Wellness

Three Easy Ways To Become an Eco-Friendly Baddie in College

It’s always good to take a step back and consider how our actions impact the beautiful planet we live on. Although no individual is going to single-handedly solve climate change, every little change makes a difference. We only have one earth, so it matters how we treat it. As college students, it’s no secret that we are busy and value ease. However, there are plenty of ways to have a green thumb without sacrificing any convenience. Here are some simple things you could try to be an eco-friendlier college baddie!

Hit the Thrift Stores Before Buying New 

Need a new going-out top or jacket for class? Before you look online, see if you can find something in your local thrift stores. Tallahassee has several awesome Goodwills and local thrift stores in town, all of which could have exactly what you need and maybe something cool and unexpected, too. My personal favorite local secondhand shops are The Other Side, Good Samaritan Super Thrift Store and The Community Thrift Market. Buying from thrift stores is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint AND save money.

FSU also has a thrift club, so you can go thrifting with other people and discover new stores. If you don’t have time or are unable to go shopping in person, there are plenty of online second-hand stores as well, such as Depop or Poshmark. If thrifting in general isn’t your thing, see if you can repurpose anything you already have in your closet or ask to borrow clothes from a friend. Any way you can reduce the number of clothes you purchase new will help reduce the waste produced by the fashion industry.

Choose Reusable Over Disposable

Choosing reusable items over single-use products is a great way to decrease the amount of trash you produce. This principle can be implemented in so many places, including the grocery store, bathroom and kitchen. Try bringing a few reusable grocery bags the next time you go shopping to reduce the number of plastic bags you use. Got a Hydro flask or metal water bottle? Bring it everywhere with you to avoid buying disposable plastic water bottles.

If you already have plastic bags or water bottles in your home, reuse them instead of throwing them away after one use. For example, you can use your plastic grocery bags as garbage bags or shopping bags instead of buying new ones from the store. Instead of using single-use silverware and straws from restaurants when you order to-go, you could bring a metal fork and straw with you. Choosing to ride a bike or walk to your destination instead of driving, if possible, is another way you can implement this principle of choosing renewable (energy in this case).

Consider the Environmental Impacts of your Food Choices

You probably hear lots of things about what you should or shouldn’t be eating. While your diet is extremely personal and you should eat what is best for you, there are some simple changes you could make to have an eco-friendlier diet, no matter who you are. Eating more fruits and veggies and reducing your intake of meat and dairy is a great way to benefit both your body and the planet. Animal-based agriculture is responsible for a significant amount of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions, so reducing your consumption of animal products is an easy way to make your diet greener (literally and figuratively).

In addition, eating locally-grown food, such as by buying produce from your local farmers’ market, is an awesome way to make your diet eco-friendlier because it reduces the amount of gas used in transporting the food. Lastly, be conscious of how much food you are buying to reduce the amount of food waste you produce. Meal planning is a great way to be intentional about what you are eating and reduce the amount of food you throw away. If you are going to throw away produce because it has gone bad, consider composting it instead to reduce the amount of food in our landfills. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Freshman pre-nursing major at Florida State University who loves thrifting and astrology and is especially passionate about environmental advocacy and animal rights.