Why the Holidays Are the Best Time To Break Out of Your Reading Slump

It can be hard to get back into reading if you’ve taken a break, especially if it’s been a long time since you’ve been an avid reader. Sometimes, slipping into a slump is inevitable, but don’t fear! It happens to the best of us, and now is the perfect time to get back into your reading era! We’ve all been there, but the holiday season is here to help. Here are some tips that helped me genuinely fall back in love with reading, as well as affordable suggestions to help you start finding your next great read. 

When I was a junior in high school, I fell into a pretty hard reading slump, and it took until November of my senior year for me to get back into reading full-time. It can be hard to maintain a healthy relationship with reading when things like school, work, and everyday life get in the way and constantly keep you from your creative outlet. College students are especially vulnerable to forgetting to take time for themselves and relax with a hobby. 

That’s one reason why holiday breaks are such a great time to pick up that book that you’ve been waiting to start! With the holidays coming up right around the corner, the break from school is the perfect time to do just that. Whether you’re going back home or staying in Tallahassee, the colder weather is a perfect reason to cozy up with some hot tea and a good book. Take that time away from school and your academic responsibilities to pick up a new read, which will hopefully pull you out of that reading slump!

Unfortunately, physical books keep getting more and more expensive, and there’s just no way around that. It can be disheartening to want to get back into reading and not have an affordable way to start. As a college student, I’ve found a very reliable way to keep up my reading hobby on a budget. Libby is a great app where you can connect your local library card (or multiple if you have a library card in multiple counties like me) to your phone and check out a lot of books for free!

Sometimes you have to wait a few weeks for the more popular books, but there are so many titles that you can borrow and start reading immediately. It’s such a relief to not have to buy every book you want to read, and it helps me not put my reading on pause. It’s also mobile, which makes it convenient to read anywhere you have your phone or tablet. If you haven’t renewed your local library card since you were a kid, going home for the holiday break is the perfect time to do that and start browsing the online catalog! Libby has been such a game-changer and an absolute godsend for me. It’s just so convenient and easy to use!

With the new year coming up quickly (can you believe it’s almost the end of 2023? I can’t!), now is the perfect time to get a jumpstart on those New Year’s resolutions as well. If you are looking to make it a habit to read more in the new year, why not start early this holiday season?

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, and Pinterest!

Dara Cadzow is a Junior at Florida State University from St. Petersburg, Florida. This is her third semester writing for Her Campus!