Wellness

Why It’s Important to Romanticize Your Life

I’ve never been a particularly confident person. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I used to be chronically insecure. I developed an endless disdain for my body, my face, my mind and my life. My mom would sometimes drag me in front of a mirror, making me look myself in the eyes and say that I am worthy, smart and beautiful. As much as I hated it, I continued this practice into my adulthood with a similar concept: manifesting.

My friends will sometimes make fun of me for how much I center myself in my thoughts and conversation but hear me out: talking about yourself positively and consistently leads to higher self-esteem and a more positive self-image. This is why I tell everyone, “Tell yourself you’re hot, smart and cool” similar to the way my mom forced me to tell myself because it is both literally and figuratively significant in making yourself feel more confident. Scientifically, memory affects visualization, both of self and others. Memory is based mainly on the repetition and recency of the memory. Therefore, when people use the phrase, “fake it ‘til you make it,” they’re not lying.

Repeatedly telling yourself things that you want, think and feel about yourself, your life and others does actually impact your memory of that thing. This can then affect the way you view that thing, and sometimes, make it a reality. In a non-scientific way, energies and intention in manifestation are similar to the concept of repetition in memory. With the right alignment, energy and intention, manifestation has helped believers achieve the thing they are manifesting. For me, feeling clean and grounded helps me feel the most secure in what I’m manifesting. Thus there is more confidence and intention in the manifestation, which helps it come to fruition. Now, of course I am not an expert in either subject by any means, but in my experience, the intersectionality between the two distinct subjects is based on the same ideal: you are in control of your life.  

I’m not recommending that you drop out or blow your savings on a trip, but I truly believe in the power of romanticizing and manifesting. I think if more people romanticized their life, they’d be happier. Traveling, living in the moment, falling in love and creating friendships are all things in life that generally make people happy. Although sometimes I must force myself into those experiences, manifest those successes and fake it until I make it, I’m happier for it throughout the process and with the result. I have found so much self-love, deeper platonic and romantic relationships and a better appreciation for my accomplishments now that I feel more in control of them. Maybe this is what people find in faith and religion? I would rather subscribe to myself and the idea that my energy and intention have more power over my life than any other life or existential factors.

My greatest piece of advice for this subject would be to ignore people who tell you that ego is bad or to bring yourself down a peg. Confidence is essential for so many life experiences, so long as you’re not hurting anyone or putting anyone down in the process of your confidence (that is, make sure your intention and energy are pure) the blessings and comforts you will receive because of that ego can be life-changing. So, tell that person you love them, go listen to an underground band, take that Polaroid nude picture, dress up for class, do things that make you happy and feed your ego. You’ll be happier for it.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Sienna Aitken is a senior Psychology and Criminology major at Florida State University