Where Did the Fireworks Go? “Euphoria” Season One vs Two

Warning: Spoilers for Euphoria seasons one and two.
Disclaimer: This article was written before episode seven was released.

Euphoria is the hit teen drama that debuted in June 2019 and has grabbed everyone’s attention ever since. The second season is currently being aired weekly on HBO Max. We can expect a total of eight episodes before the show goes on hiatus until season three.

If you haven’t watched the special episode starring Jules that was released in 2021, you definitely need to. It gives us a very raw and authentic therapy scene where she speaks about how she defines femininity, reveals a lot about her character and describes how she is changing. Rue’s special episode is a bit blander since it stays in one setting with the same two characters in conversation the whole time, but if you enjoy the show, watch it for extra background knowledge.

So, with only two episodes left to bring together (or at least discuss) the multitude of storylines like where Jules and Cal’s disk will lead, why that woman has a camera in her alarm clock, what will happen to Maddy because of said alarm clock, will Rue go to rehab and… I could go on. Do you see my point?

When season one came out, it was legendary: the music, the chills Nate gave whenever he was on screen, the emotional story of Rue’s highs and lows, and how Rue’s past is still affecting her present and now shaky future. It was this massive construction of the storyline that gave us a pretty good finale that left everyone wanting (scratch that, needing) more!

And then we got more.

I will provide a disclaimer: it’s hard to judge a TV show when it’s not completed yet! At the time of writing, there are still two 45-minute episodes that could bring me and the rest of society back into it. But what we have seen so far is just so…lackluster. Not bad! Just not what season one gave.

We come back to season two with our same leading characters: Rue, Jules, Maddy, Nate, Cassie, Lexi and Kat. In episode one we are introduced to Elliot, who does drugs with Rue at the New Year’s party and eventually becomes close with Rue and Jules. Also, due to off-screen conflicts, Kat has been reduced to a minor character with an apparently sh*tty storyline wrap-up (#WhenYourGFBreaksUpWithYouByLyingAboutATerminalBrainDisorder). In juxtaposition to this, we have seen a little more of Lexi! Screentime-wise, probably not, but character-wise, Lexi is more than just Cassie’s mistreated sister who’s in love with Rue (argue with the wall). Most of these changes seem appealing! Lexi was a character viewers were interested in seeing more of, as she is the most neutral and therefore, one of the most relatable characters on the show.

Elliot being introduced as someone Rue can talk to (and do drugs with) while also befriending Jules and matching the show’s vibe seemed interesting! Except it wasn’t. Think of one thing we know about Elliot besides the fact that he:

1. Knows Rue relapsed
  2. Does drugs
  3. Kissed Jules

Yes, he adds pizzazz in some scenes and he’s an enjoyable character at times, but he serves no other purpose in the show than to break up Rue and Jules; he was just an easy way out for the writers! Now, Rue and Jules (as characters and as a couple) are no bundle of roses. But that’s what was so interesting about them! We understood because of who they are that, of course, they would get back together, but (unfortunately) it would all blow up in their faces. Elliot is just a toy for the plot; he was shiny and new, and everyone was intrigued about what he would bring. Once he did his part, he just drove offscreen.

This is a major example of the disconnects in season two. Things just seem to happen because the writers (or should I say, writer) felt like it. There’s no big, elaborate ploy to bring everything together; it all just happens, but it isn’t the same explosion of a revelation as season one’s scenarios were because there’s no buildup! If there’s one thing season two needs, it’s patience.

We can compare both seasons on a few fronts. Seasons one and two both have a lot going on, very active first episodes, breathtaking performances from Zendaya and the rest of the cast that truly shake you to your core and big character changes. However, season one is better at connecting the dots and bringing them all to a greater meaning (a meaning you can see forming even before you are blown away by the finale).

There are highlights in season two for sure. I believe Rue’s actions within episode five were not only accurate but necessary. Euphoria always has and continues to do a good job of laying out that:

1. Drugs should not be glamorized
  2. Rue isn’t a good person, but she is just 17

Maddy has really pulled me into this season. Episode two, in which she talks to Jules about wanting real, authentic love but having absolutely no hope of finding it, is heart-shattering. I think Maddy has truly been carrying the season; everyone is waiting to see her explosive reactions to Cassie and Nate’s relationship, what will happen with her and her babysitting boss, and more.

We are on a merry-go-round of Cassie crying over Nate one minute, then moving in with him the next, wondering why the f*ck Jules kissed Elliot and doesn’t seem to feel bad about it, and JUST ENOUGH Lexi to keep us entertained but not good enough to follow through.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Bella Bozied is an Information, Communication, and Technology (ICT) and Editing, Writing and Media (EWM) double major at Florida State University. She is working towards a future within the social media and writing/journalism industry! She currently serves as the President for her Her Campus Chapter!