When you think of the arts, what do you think?

There are so many art forms, and, in my opinion, so many reasons as to why they are valuable.

Art comes in many different ways, such as writing, painting, sculpting and dancing. Moreover, there is music, theater, digital media and other forms of communication. Art resonates with me so much because it is another form of communication. That being said, it also leaves room for so much interpretation. Due to this, so many stories and perceptions can come from one piece and mean different things to many people. That is what I love the most about it! An artist can portray a particular emotion or scene with their work to the audience. From this, people can pick apart what the author wanted them to see, and how they initially understood the piece.

Some visual arts consist of paintings, still life, sculptures, drawings, installations, digital media, photography, film and more. One of my favorite visual arts is installations because there is a potential that you get to immerse yourself into the space and see all the different mediums that the artist may have used. Art history is a great and interesting way to get into picking apart some of these art pieces. You get to dissect works based on content and context, looking at the time period, culture, medium (what was used to create the piece), what purpose it may serve and more. After all this, you get to draw conclusions on the author’s purpose or intentions. You may reach a different conclusion, or feel, than what the artist intended based on your background and your experiences. We all have different experiences that shape the way we work and think about these pieces.

There are also performing arts such as theatre, music, speech and dance. The performing art that has played a big part in my life is dance. I started dancing at the age of three and can say that it brought me many friends, allowed me creative freedom, a safe place, taught me discipline and other useful skills. It has been something where I can challenge myself with every class and every style. Additionally, I am now indulging in the form of writing, where I get to express what something is and what it means to me. These art forms can also portray certain emotions and meanings that are sometimes up to the interpretation of the audience. There are many opportunities for art all around us and I am glad to make the most out of it.

I think it is amazing how many things can be expressed without using words through movement, sound, color and lines. Also, how much meaning can underlie even when words are used. To me, the arts have become more valuable as time goes on, as I learn more about what went into the work and see how what I learn can change my perception. It allows me to engage with other people about these art form pieces and shows me a wide range of interpretations. It shows me how one thing can be similar but lead to two different conclusions, while others have a very clear idea.

All in all, art has been an outlet for me to express myself, and for that, I am forever grateful.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

FSU student majoring in Psychology currently on the pre-med track. I love the Fine Arts, specifically dance, which has been a part of my life since the age of three. I enjoy music, tv, and have found a new joy in writing and reading.