In one way or another, going to college is the number one aspiration for most people in high school. Of course, there are practical reasons as to why one might dream of going to college, like setting up for a good future and landing a financially secure job. However, if you were anything like me, you wanted to go because of the idea of college. I always had a specific set of expectations for college, and I felt like my life leading up to it was just waiting to go. It feels utterly surreal for me to say that I am now in my second year of college, and it is nothing like I expected — in the best way possible. I want to share with you my three biggest takeaways from my first year that I will take with me until I graduate.

1. Classes are harder than you think

Despite going to a private school that is designed to prepare you, nothing can truly prepare you for how much is required of you in your college classes except for, well, college. Your workload will most likely be more than you have faced in your previous academic experience, and grading will be harsher than in high school. However, success and good grades are completely achievable and not far out of reach. Once I adapted and understood the responsibilities of each class, I prioritized my time accordingly and worked hard. If you take school seriously, you may still struggle, but you will get through it and do well.  

2. Friendship is not handed to you

This may seem obvious to most as it seemed obvious to me. However, one of the biggest shocks I encountered during my first semester was that making friends was not a seamless process. For some, it might be, but for an introvert like me, you have to put yourself out there more than what feels comfortable. There will be a lot of times you feel like you’re failing, and everyone in the world has formed lifelong friendships already, and you haven’t. This isn’t the case, however, and this feeling is completely normal in college. Forming relationships takes time, and while it might feel lonely, you will find the right people who are meant to be in your life. 

3. Learn to be alone

College was the first time I was ever on my own. In high school, I was with other students and friends for six or more hours a day, and then I would come home to my family. Part of the reason I was so excited about college was the independence and freedom, but it definitely takes time to fully come to terms with how alone that really feels. Once that sinks in, you will learn to value your time alone. If you make the best of the situation, you will become your own best friend. If you can feel secure in yourself, you will enjoy life to its fullest extent.  

These three takeaways are the most important to me, and I plan to carry them along with me through the rest of college. I hope any freshman reading this can take something from this as well! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok, and Pinterest!

A first year majoring in Editing, Writing and Media. Lover of books and all things Taylor Swift :)