Before the pandemic, my family and I visited New York City roughly once a year. While we traveled to the city to participate in normal touristy things, we mainly went to see shows on Broadway. I saw my first show in the eighth grade, and I was instantly obsessed with live theatre. Including my first show, I have seen 11 shows on Broadway. This month we could take our first trip back to the Big Apple (or anywhere for that matter) since 2020, and I was able to check three new shows off my Broadway bucket list. 

We chose the specific weekend we were visiting based on seeing one show in particular. Back in October, we bought tickets to see Daniel Craig in Macbeth. But no trip can be perfect in these times so, of course, we got the email earlier in the week that the show was canceled due to several COVID positives, Daniel Craig included, in the company. But we couldn’t let this ruin our fun and we decided to take the trip anyway. We didn’t have tickets for anything, but we were out to make the best of it. And that we did. 

My family is always out to find the best deal when it comes to most things, and Broadway shows are no exception. If you have never visited the Great White Way you might not know this, but there are a few ways to score big without dropping big bucks. It just requires a little effort. 

Our flight landed in NYC at lunch and most of the theater box offices had just opened so we started our hunt for tickets the moment we dropped our stuff at the hotel. Most theaters have tickets available for that day’s show if you stop at the box office, they aren’t always in the less expensive category but sometimes you get lucky. Our first stop was the Winter Garden Theatre, currently home to The Music Man revival starring Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster. They didn’t have tickets in our price range, so we set off for the next theater. Before the pandemic, we had planned a trip to see some shows, but they were canceled when the world shut down. I had hoped to see Moulin Rouge then, but COVID ruined that plan. Now seemed like a perfect time. After reaching the Al Hirschfeld Theatre a few blocks away, we were in luck. The box office had a few tickets left for that night’s performance for under $100. 

Moulin Rouge Broadway
Original photo by Peyton Gay

We came back later that night for the show, and this is where I started noticing a lot of differences in protocols. Patrons are required to wear a mask and must present proof of vaccination to enter the theater. It definitely slows the process down because there are only a few people checking hundreds of people’s credentials. Once inside, everything is like before COVID, just with a few additions. There are ushers constantly patrolling the aisles with signs reminding everyone to keep their masks on. 

And the biggest difference that I noticed was the inability to “stage door” after the show. If you don’t know, “stage-dooring” is the process of waiting outside by the door where the performers leave the theater. In the past, many would sign autographs, take photos and sometimes even talk to fans who had just seen the show. This is one of my favorite parts of Broadway because it provides a unique experience for those willing to stick around a little while after the show. But, due to COVID protocols, the performers are not allowed to stop. However, I did spot a few leaving after the show! 

Music Man Broadway
Original photo by Peyton Gay

The next morning, we set out to make a second attempt at scoring tickets for The Music Man. A lot of theaters participate in a form of tickets called Rush Tickets. This is when a theater sells tickets at a deep discount to those at the box office when it opens. The Winter Garden is one of these theaters. But, because The Music Man is one of the most desirable shows, it requires you to get in line for tickets around 6 a.m. But waiting four hours is worth it when you get one of the hottest tickets in town for $49. And these weren’t just any seats, they were the box seats. But to see Hugh Jackman, I would have stood for the whole show if they asked. The Music Man is a classic Broadway show and the entire production maintained that classic vibe. After the final bows of the show, Jackman started talking to the audience. He began to discuss how the theater was collecting money for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, this is a collection that takes place twice a year and every theater on Broadway participates. They even auctioned off two signed gloves to two members of the audience.

Six Broadway
Original photo by Peyton Gay

But why stop at two shows? We saw The Music Man’s matinee, so there was still a chance to catch a show in the evening. After eating lunch at our favorite NYC pizza place, John’s Pizzeria, I wanted to see if there was any chance to see Six. I had started following this show before the pandemic when it was only in London and next to The Music Man it might be the next hardest ticket to get currently. Luck was on our side one last time. There were three seats in the fifth row, partial view, for $79. I couldn’t pass up that opportunity considering every ticket I had looked up was over $200. This show was fantastic! Styled like a concert with six leads, there is never a dull moment. And despite not being allowed to stop for autographs or photos the performers still made a point to wave at those of us waiting outside after the show. This was the closest thing to a regular stage door experience that I could get during this trip, but it was totally worth it! 

If you are looking for a sign that you should take a trip to New York City, this is it. Broadway is open and looking to welcome returning theatre goers and those who have never been. While the protocols might not be ideal, if they are what it takes to keep the theater doors open, they aren’t that bad. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Peyton is a senior double majoring in Communications and Editing, Writing, Media. She is a member of the Majorette Line with the Marching Chiefs and she hopes to one day be a sports reporter.