As a single, hopelessly romantic college student, I am constantly reading romance novels and watching romantic movies and shows that force me to believe that the love that I am looking for is in fact out there somewhere. In today’s world and especially on college campuses, it can be so easy to lose that hope and give in to the hookup culture and death of chivalry that has plagued our generation. Now don’t get me wrong, I am always a sucker for a new Netflix Original rom-com with characters I can relate to and situations I can superimpose onto my life when making up my nightly fantasies. Despite this, I will never fail to choose to watch or read a period drama instead of these more modern takes on love and these are some of the reasons why that is the case.

In the era of Tinder and “you up?” texts, I am really struggling to believe that chivalry is in fact not dead. I long for someone to properly court me as the men do in period dramas. Maybe it’s unrealistic, but if someone were to show up at my door with flowers the day after meeting me to ask me on a proper date, I would literally melt onto the floor. It’s sad that in this day and age when a man opens doors for his girlfriend or takes her out to dinner or sends her flowers, we as women go into literal shock out of happiness. However, this is the norm in these popular shows and movies. I’m not saying I need a man to ask my father if he can ask me out on a date, but I would love it if for once a man acted like a gentleman and put in a real effort to pursue me.

Another thing that makes me long for these kinds of romances is the subtlety of love. Today, kisses in clubs and situationships are the norm. In period dramas, however, every slight touch of the hand or graze of the back has watchers and readers on the edge of their seats, kicking their feet in excitement. The first time I watched Pride and Prejudice and Mr. Darcy helped Elizabeth up onto the carriage and flexed his hand out of excitement afterward, I literally melted onto the floor. I want to casually touch someone’s hand and feel a spark that has me thinking about that person for days afterward. 

One thing that I absolutely adore about these stories is the eloquent, dramatic professions of love given in the pouring rain while the girl is sobbing from just how much love she is feeling at that moment. Anthony Bridgerton’s famous speech is still circling Tik Tok a year after its release, making women around the world angry at their boyfriends and husbands. As a woman, all I really want is to completely infuriate a man with how infatuated he is with me as Kate made Anthony. Personally, I don’t think that’s too much to ask for but today’s world continues to prove me wrong. 

Finally, I don’t think I’m alone in watching and reading these love stories and imagining myself in them, running through gardens in beautiful gowns, being courted by a fabulously handsome man who is completely, undoubtedly in love with me. The major reason why these stories are so popular is the magic and fantasy that are seen in these dreamscapes. I would give anything to wear stunning gowns and experience the London season spending my time reading, painting, going to fabulous balls and having men recite dramatic speeches about their undying love for me. Most people feel the need to escape their daily lives sometimes and these period dramas are the perfect way to do just that which is why I wholeheartedly believe that they are superior to modern romance novels and movies.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

My name is Morgan Chapman and I am a second year political science and criminology major hoping to attend law school. I have always had a huge passion for writing and journalism and I cannot wait to pursue that passion within Her Campus!