Life > Academics

The Struggles of Being In a Limited Access Major at FSU

“What’s your major?” It’s a question we all ask and get asked, and it’s a pretty simple one, no? A major can say a lot about one’s passions and future goals, and whatever major one declares can play a big role in one’s college experience. However, for many students at Florida State University (FSU) and other universities across the U.S., this question isn’t so simple.  

Whenever I look at my major, there are three little letters that precede it: “NFA,” which stands for “Not Formally Admitted.” This qualifies my major as “Limited Access,” which FSU defines as a major that “requires you to apply and be admitted into that specific program.” So, even though I may say, “Oh, I’m majoring in Digital Media Production,” this only feels half true. I’m not actually in the program yet, and that’s something that scares me.  

When I first became aware that my major was limited access, my heart sank for multiple reasons. After the rigorous process of getting admitted into college, how were there still more steps? You’re telling me there’s yet another application I have to complete that could determine my future? A pessimistic mindset quickly began to take over, and one big question was pushed to the front of my mind: what if I don’t get in? 

I consider myself lucky to be attending FSU and especially lucky to be pursuing a major that surrounds something I feel so passionate about. For as long as I can remember, I’ve always loved making videos, whether by making stupid films using iMovie or helping produce my school news. When deciding what I was going to major in, I knew that I wanted it to revolve around this increasing passion that I’ve had all my life; FSU was the perfect place for that. A quick Google search will tell you that FSU’s Digital Media Production program is among the best. I found FSU listed on multiple college-ranking websites regarding the best schools for digital media study, communication, and multimedia, such as Niche and Learn.org, so I know I’m in the right place. It’s the thought of getting there that appears so daunting. 

However, as it turns out, I’m not alone. At FSU, there are actually a ton of programs that qualify as Limited Access, including Athletic Training, Business, Communication, Communication Disorders, Computer Science, Dance, Dietetics, Economics, Education, Interior Design, Motion Picture Arts, Music, Nursing, Psychology, Social Work, Studio Art, and Theatre. While it makes sense that the more artistic programs are selective, having so many competitive programs feels restraining.  

I, like many others who will be going through another application process to get into my major, will no doubt put my best foot forward in order to ensure success for myself. Although the process is frustrating, I am hopeful that it will allow me to be surrounded by others who are passionate about the same things I am. Admission into this major would allow me to have a fulfilling and excellent experience at FSU.  

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest

Avery Ranum is Media/Communication Studies and Marketing double major at Florida State University, pursuing a minor in Film Studies as well. She aspires to work in the entertainment industry in the future, hopefully for a commercial broadcast network or film studio! She is currently a first-year staff writer and video social team member for Her Campus at FSU.