Fast fashion is all around us. We see it on social media platforms and around our school. Whether you contribute to fast fashion or not is your decision, but it seems it’s not going away anytime soon. From new articles of clothing dropping daily to quicker shipping options, the world of fashion is undergoing a complete makeover.  

Unethical production and overconsumption are a few major issues pressing on some people’s minds when they think of the rapid growth of the industry. However, this article isn’t going to highlight the damage being done by companies like SHEIN and Fashion Nova. Instead, I’ve explored a different angle. Here are some ways that fast fashion might not be so bad.

1. Positives for Plus-Size Girls 

Dear Brandy Melville, one size does NOT fit all! For many girls, shopping at brick-and-mortar stores can be difficult. Plus-size clothing options tend to be more homely and sometimes aren’t as trendy as clothing offered in smaller sizes.  

We all want to be able to dress in a way that makes us feel like our most confident selves. Online fast fashion sites provide this opportunity to curvier girls. Many fast fashion websites have sizing that goes up to 3XL. Fashion should be accessible no matter the size of the fashionista in question. The inclusive sizing that websites like SHEIN offer gives more variety for plus-size girls to comfortably rock their own styles. 

2. It’s Chic and Cheap

In college, not everyone has the funds to constantly update their wardrobes. Buying new clothes isn’t always about keeping up with trends. As we get older, our bodies undergo change. Instead of scouring for money to spare on correctly-fit clothes, it’s often easier to look towards fast fashion as the cheaper alternative.  

Fashion allows people to express themselves and feel in control of their image. Having affordable options gives so many people access to the outfits of their dreams. Dressing up in alternative styles or formalwear should be more accessible, not only left to the people with enough money to spend $50 or more on each new article of clothing.  

Every day, multiple coupons are released that give either free shipping or percentages off. There’s also a large sale section on most of these sites where some clothes are sold for as little as $3. These discounts add to the economic appeal of fast fashion that can allow people on budgets to afford new clothes that are stylish and fit comfortably.  

3. Outfits for Every Occasion 

Halloween, date night, and going to the gym all require different types of clothing. The variety that fast fashion websites offer at just the tap of your finger can be considered revolutionary. No matter what your personal style is, there’s most likely a favorable option in every category that you like.  

At retail Halloween stores like Spirit Halloween, their costume pricing is almost four times the price of similar costumes found on SHEIN. The quality even feels almost identical. Most girls in college really don’t have the luxury of breaking the bank when it comes to clothing that can’t be reused on a regular basis.  

As the fashion industry continues to evolve, the emergence of fast fashion is likely to continue to grow. In ways, it can help people feel more confident and afford cool clothes. Of course, the ethical and environmental implications of the growth of fast fashion are important to consider. Rewearing clothes and donating them are just a few ways to mitigate sustainability concerns. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok, and Pinterest!

Maya Shah is a staff writer at Her Campus at the FSU chapter. She is a Marketing major with a minor in Hispanic Marketing Communications.