Style > Decor

4 Renter-Friendly Ways You Can Elevate Your Space on a Budget

I’ve always loved interior decorating. I can only assume it’s from all the HGTV I grew up watching with my mom. So, when it came time for me to move off campus, I was thrilled. I would have not just a wall, but an entire apartment to adorn with all of my favorite things. I remember the day I first moved in, the blank walls were begging for color and life. I knew I had a mission to make this apartment into my own personal dream house. However, I’m a broke college student, so I definitely had to ball on a budget. So, I got creative and found some unique ways to bring my space to life. If you’re looking for renter-friendly ways to elevate your space, these tips are for you. 

1. Cabinet Hardware 

Believe me, I know this one sounds extra. However, cabinet hardware is a cute and surprisingly inexpensive way to add a personal touch to your kitchen or bathroom. All you need is a screwdriver and some knobs of your choice. Say goodbye to generic, stainless-steel cabinet knobs and opt for colorful, ceramic options or floral designs. Whatever your aesthetic is, there’s a cabinet knob to match. Hobby Lobby has a great selection, and they tend to run frequent sales. 

2. Fun Lightbulbs 

Personally, I’m tired of obnoxious white lights that make your space feel like a doctor’s office. I decided to switch out my white LED bulbs for a more colorful alternative. Ever since I discovered stained glass lightbulbs, I’ve been obsessed. They cast a warm, multicolored glow over your space and radiate good vibes. The warm-toned light is perfect for cozying up to a good book with a hot mug of tea. Coming in at $5.99 on Target’s website, these bulbs are the perfect way to warm up any room without breaking the bank. 

3. Stained Glass Window Clings 

Staying on the stained glass trend, I am ecstatic to see it coming back in style. As a vintage lover, I believe that stained glass is the perfect way to let vibrant, filtered light into your home. Stained glass cling film has been increasing in popularity, as it provides a way to get the stained glass look without making any permanent changes. Amazon has plenty of affordable options that will make your windows look like they came straight from a beautiful old church. 

4. Furniture Covers 

Does anyone actually like those dingy, brown-gray couches that furnished apartments love to supply? If you’re like me, you would give anything to replace them with a stylish velveteen couch that oozes class. This is where furniture covers come in. While they are on the pricier side, they will transform any old couch into a throne fit for the queen you are. With a variety of colors and fabrics available, the options are endless when it comes to taking your couch to the next level. 

Our living spaces are more than just a room to sleep in. They serve as a space for relaxation, socializing, and self-expression. So why not make them the best they can be? Hopefully, these four tips have left you with some inspiration on ways to make your space perfect for you. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest

Thea is a junior at Florida State University pursuing a major in English (Editing, Writing, and Media) and a minor in education. She loves listening to all genres of music and spending time outdoors.