Taylor Swift has finally released Red (Taylor’s Version). Red was originally released in 2012; however, Swift is currently re-recording all her old albums. Red (Taylor’s Version) has 30 songs on it, including never before heard songs that are “from the vault” that she wrote for the original Red album but never released. I stayed up all night on Nov. 12 when it came out to listen to and review the songs “from the vault.”

“Ronan (Taylor’s Version)”

Honestly, it’s hard to listen to or write about this song without crying. I failed at both. I won’t review it out of respect, instead, I’ll talk about the message of the song. Taylor wrote the song “Ronan” about 11-year-old Ronan Thompson, who passed away due to neuroblastoma. Taylor read his mother, Maya Thompson’s, blog about Ronan and his struggle with cancer and felt compelled to write a song for him. You can read Maya’s blog and learn more about Ronan and his story here.

“Babe (Taylor’s Version)”

“Babe (Taylor’s Version)” was written by Taylor, but she originally let the band Sugarland put it out with Taylor featured on the track instead of being the main singer. “Babe (Taylor’s Version)” is amazing. While I love both editions of the song, I am partial to Red (Taylor’s Version). Also, her version sounds a bit more like a pop song, which I adore.

“Run (Taylor’s Version) [feat. Ed Sheeran]”

This song has Ed Sheeran on it, and every time I hear them sing, I’m reminded of how well they work together. It’s a beautiful song, both lyrically and musically. It’s a softer song, but one I can see myself playing late at night in the car while I just drive around aimlessly. Bonus points if you get to do that with someone you love.

“The Very First Night (Taylor’s Version)”

This is a song that after listening to the lyrics, I’m choosing to believe is about Harry Styles. If you disagree that’s okay. That aside, the song is amazing. You can tell that around this time was when Taylor started experimenting with pop music because it would fit in perfectly with her album 1989 that she released afterward. It’s catchy, and perfectly encapsulates being obsessed with a new relationship. This will be on repeat until I’m sick of it (if that’s even possible).

“Forever Winter (Taylor’s Version)”

This song was heartbreaking. The lyrics were so much darker than the music itself that if I wasn’t paying attention, I might not have interpreted it the way I do. It honestly sounds like someone Taylor was dating was struggling with substance misuse, mental health problems, suicidal thoughts or all three. This is another song that out of respect I won’t review, but instead, I’ll say this: if you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts you can visit this website here for some resources.

“I Bet You Think About Me (Taylor’s Version) [feat. Chris Stapleton]”

Amazing country song. The harmonica started and I think I ascended to heaven. Also, a wonderful burn against an ex-boyfriend in a way that’s reminiscent of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” calling him out for thinking he’s better than her. It’s also a precursor to “Blank Space,” calling herself crazy for writing songs about her exes.

“Message In A Bottle (Taylor’s Version)”

Wow, I can’t believe Taylor Swift invented pop music! This song is phenomenal, and once again would fit perfectly on her album 1989. It’s more of a synth-pop sound, but it works! Honestly, it’s a great song to live out your manic pixie dream girl fantasy too. Also, once again, I’m sorry, but this song will only ever be about Harry Styles in my mind. She literally says “London.” Case closed.

“Better Man (Taylor’s Version)”

This song has been recorded before, by the band Little Big Town. Taylor wrote it, gave it away to them and then recorded it herself for Red (Taylor’s Version). Honestly, it sounds different from their version musically, and I think it sounds better. Also, this song will always be hurtful. I love it though, and it’s a great song to listen to when you’re mad at any man in your life.

“Nothing New (Taylor’s Version)”

Okay, a Phoebe Bridgers and Taylor Swift collaboration is what the world needed. It was the perfect track for Phoebe to star on because it’s depressing as hell. The song almost seems to ride on the coattails of the song “The Lucky One,” exploring the struggle of not knowing where your place is in the world. I felt personally attacked by the line “How can a person know everything at 18 but nothing at 22?” Ouch. I’m only 20, and that hurt.

“All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s version)”

First of all: wow. That was hurtful. “It’s supposed to be fun, turning 21.” That line specifically ripped me to shreds. This song was the one I was looking forward to the most, and it did NOT disappoint. She was not afraid to call out a certain ex-boyfriend of hers *cough* Jake Gyllenhaal *cough* out for dating younger women with the line, “I’ll get older, but your lovers stay my age.” Musically, it was beautifully done, in my opinion. It was very different from the original version of “All Too Well,” but I honestly did not expect them to sound the same, considering one was five minutes and the other ten. I can see myself crying to this song for years to come, and it’s already been added to my “streaks don’t hmu” playlist.

Overall, the vault tracks for Red (Taylor’s Version) were everything I’d dreamed of and more. They were beautifully written and produced and offered us a glimpse into what Taylor was planning to put on the album Red originally. These songs are sure to make my playlists for years to come.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm a sophomore at Florida State, majoring in social work :).