Ranking My Favorite Thanksgiving Dishes

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I wanted to share my favorite dishes. I love to cook and eat, so Thanksgiving is easily one of my favorite holidays. Whether you’re having a large family gathering or a small meal with friends, these 10 dishes are some of my Thanksgiving necessities. However, there are some I could go without ever eating.

1. Stuffing with Gravy

This may be controversial, but stuffing with gravy is my favorite Thanksgiving dish. Growing up, I hated stuffing. It looked repulsive, and I would refuse to put it on my plate. However, as I got older, I became obsessed with it. 

2. Sweet Potato Casserole

Sweet potato casserole is a staple on my dining table every year. The sweetness of the marshmallows and cinnamon combined with the sweet and savory flavor of the sweet potato explodes in my mouth with every bite.

3. Green Bean Casserole

Green bean casserole is a quick and easy dish even for novice cooks to bring to the table. This is the first dish I ever made for my family’s Thanksgiving. Since then, I have made it every year.

4. Cranberry Sauce

I love the canned cranberry sauce from the supermarket, but many people love to make their own. Whenever I think of Thanksgiving, I think of cranberry sauce.

5. Pecan Pie

This dish is probably my favorite dish to make. I usually make at least two for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is a little more complex than other Thanksgiving foods and desserts, but in my opinion, it is so worth it.

6. Mashed Potatoes

Mashed potatoes are such a simple dish for picky eaters to enjoy. My favorite is Bob Evan’s Mashed Potatoes since hand-mashing potatoes is tedious.

7. Mac n’ Cheese

Mac n’ Cheese does not typically appear in my family’s Thanksgiving line-up. However, it is a popular dish across the country.

8. Turkey

The most basic Thanksgiving food across the United States is the classic Thanksgiving turkey. People will line up at the grocery store doors waiting to choose the perfect turkey.

9. Pumpkin Pie

I feel like pumpkin pie is an American staple for fall desserts, but I will choose pecan over pumpkin any day.

10. Giblet Gravy

I want to talk to who decided giblet gravy was a good idea. I cannot imagine ever willingly pouring Giblet Gravy on anything that would go near my mouth. However, this is a tradition some people still enjoy following.

Honorable Mention: Rolls

I grew up in a home where rolls were included with every meal. So, I could do without them when it comes time for Thanksgiving. 

Thanksgiving has many different meanings to many different people. To me, it means gathering around the dinner table with my loved ones, eating delicious food and talking about everything we’ve done in the past year. It’s an important holiday to me personally, as it’s one of the few times that I get to see my extended family.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Katie Frey is a Florida State University student majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media (EWM) with a minor in Women's Studies. She loves reading, writing, playing video games, and watching movies. She loves animals and is a nacho connoisseur.