My Ultimate Book and Movie Guide for a Cozy Fall Night In

Living in Florida means it’s hard to get into the spirit of the fall season while the temperature is still in the mid-80s even in November. But the past several days have had the most perfect weather, and I’m taking advantage of this chill while I can with oversized sweaters, boots, and lazy days spent wrapped up in my hammock on campus. There are two things I love doing the most in this weather: reading outside and watching movies inside. Here’s my ultimate guide to the movies and books you need for a cozy fall night in.

Movies

First off, grab some snacks and blankets, dim the lights, and cuddle up on the couch. Next, pick a movie. But not just any movie — you’re going to need a movie with the perfect cozy fall vibes. Try to pick something with a little romance, a lot of nostalgia, and if I get any say, Hugh Grant.

While I love a cheesy Hallmark movie, sometimes I want a movie with a little more substance. So, if you’re anything like me, read on.

Notting Hill

A quaint bookshop in a small town run by a handsome romantic lead played by Hugh Grant? We’re off to a great start. A movie with a silly little kiss that becomes a full-blown romance set in the backdrop of a charming English city gives me all the fall romance vibes.

A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

While this is different from the other movies on this list in several ways, it’s the perfect mix of nostalgia and whimsy. It’s a cozy 30-minute short to watch with your little siblings or cousins (or even by yourself!) to reconnect with your childhood during this sentimental season. While other movies sometimes deal with more emotional themes, this feel-good cartoon might be just what you need.

Knives Out

This one is for my mystery-loving girlies. Set right in the middle of fall with colorful leaves falling and most of the movie taking place in a beautiful 1920s mansion in Massachusetts, this film screams fall. The whole movie is so beautifully filmed and on top of aesthetics, has a super intriguing mystery. Plus, Chris Evans is in it, so…

Midnight In Paris

As the name suggests, this movie is set in Paris in both the 1920s and the 2010s. You’ll just have to watch it to understand. Romance, nostalgia, La Belle Époque, and of course, being set in beautiful Paris can’t hurt at all. This film is genuinely a favorite of mine.

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban

I am a big Harry Potter girl. While I love them all, the movie that I think gives the most fall vibes is the third one. The pumpkin patches, the forests, the spooky lighting, the werewolf; it all screams fall and Halloween.

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Directed by Wes Anderson, this movie is fully stop motion and is so strange in the best way. It gives cozy fall vibes in the same way the nostalgic cartoon books of Peter Rabbit and Frog and Toad do. It features whimsical little animals living in whimsical little homes with their whimsical little friends.

When Harry Met Sally

I’m going to be completely honest, I haven’t seen this movie yet, but I promise it’s on my list! I have it on very good authority that this is a great romance movie for the season, plus it’s set in New York. What could be better than a big-city romance?

Miracle on 34th Street

There are two versions of this movie, but my favorite is the newer one (1994). Mostly Christmas vibes, this movie has some of the most romantic scenes and just so much love and warmth coming through the whole thing. The perfect mix of nostalgia and cozy family vibes will have you yearning for the times you spent opening gifts in your PJs with your family and all the people you love.

Books

The only thing I love more than cozying up inside on a cold night to watch a movie is to bundle up outside with a bunch of blankets, a warm cup of hot cocoa, and a really good book. To me, a lot of classics give that sort of warm fall ambiance.

Little Women

Like Miracle on 34th Street, there are also multiple versions of this movie, and while I love them all (the 1994 is more “fall-ish,” by the way), I also love the book. It’s so cozy, there’s so much love in it, and it just makes the holidays feel warm and comfortable. The reason I included this as a book instead of a movie is because you can take the words and create an image of your own perfect cozy wintery days and nights to tailor it a little more to your own family.

Harry Potter and the sorcerer’s Stone

Yes, I included the third Harry Potter movie, so you may be thinking “Why did she add this as a book?” But while the third movie is aesthetically very fall-ish in terms of cinematography, the story in the first book gives a very Halloween-y vibe. Ogres, Halloween feasts, ghosts, and spooky two-faced people (literally and figuratively).

Anne of Green Gables

It’s been years since I’ve read this book, but I just recently watched the new television show adaptation, and it’s rekindled my love of it. Set in Prince Edward Island, this book has it all: a beautiful setting, puppy love, a cozy home, and just overall warm vibes.

Pride and Prejudice

This is also not just a book but a movie as well, yet I’m including it as a book because I believe you’ll get the most out of it by reading it first. It’s a romantic, historic piece with a completely smitten male lead… what more could you want?

The Chronicles of Narnia

I saved this for last because all the movies and all the books are just perfect for this list; I couldn’t pick just one. Whimsy, fairytales, talking animals, and beautiful fall scenery? I have no complaints about any of these. Do yourself a favor and watch and read them all.

As I write this, I’m currently bundled up in my chilly apartment with a bunch of blankets, watching rom-coms. What more could a girl want? I hope you all have a such a great holiday season and make yourself cozy!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Hey, I'm Chloe and I'm a senior at Florida State! I'm a staff writer at HerCampus FSU and a fun fact about me is that I'm also a certified lifeguard! I love hammocking and reading outside and I'm always down to go for a swim!