Dear Florida State University,

Have you ever wondered about the impact that you have made in not only my life, but other students’ lives as well? Each year, students enroll in different colleges and universities in the hopes that they can find their “home” for the next four years. I still remember visiting campus and falling in love with Mike’s freshly squeezed lemonade stand near Landis Green. How could I forget to mention the beautiful brick buildings that encompass this university, or even Westcott Fountain, where I would soon find out how this would become my favorite picture spot in Tallahassee? These small yet instrumental details about FSU made me realize where I could spend “the next four.” I can confidently say that my “home” at this beautiful university has left me with so many memories and opportunities that I will take with me once I graduate this spring.

My journey as a Seminole began three years prior to attending. My older sister, Erika, chose to spend her undergraduate years at Florida State, where she shared her experiences and the reasons why FSU was so great. I, too, wanted to have that feeling of calling another place home, even if I was 400 miles away from my childhood home. When I was accepted in January of 2019, I really did not need much convincing. Despite the uncertainties of going away to college, I would have to say it was the easiest “yes” I had ever said.

Summer C was the absolute best summer of my life. Living in an apartment just five minutes away from campus was a bonus. Every day was a new adventure with Andres as my roommate. We had been best friends since we were four, so our living arrangements were not an issue. That summer taught me what it was like to leave home, even if just for six weeks. It was a precursor for the fall semester, yet I was excited for what was to come.

During my freshman year fall semester, my sister took me under her wing as she prepared to graduate in December. I had gone from apartment life to dorm life, and it was a game-changer. Yes, dorm-style living is rough, yet, it builds character. My roommate, Emily, and I created so many memories in our “shoebox home” that we still talk about today! Just as I was adjusting back to dorm life following winter break, the pandemic sent us all home for the duration of the spring semester. I had just found out I was eligible for “Degree in Three” where I could graduate a year earlier and become FSU’s Class of 2022.

Despite being home for the spring semester of my freshman year, I knew “Degree in Three” was something I wanted to pursue and work extra hard for. My second year, also known as my junior year, was a time spent in the luxury of an apartment once again. Year two was a year of adventure. My abrupt departure from the dorm taught me the importance of embracing every moment, because you’ll never know what life has in store. Although classes were remote, I found ways to enjoy the 850 even if I was not on campus. Thereafter, I cherished my walks to Greenwise, nights out with friends, studying in the study rooms, walking to campus and taking pictures of Westcott all while sipping my favorite Catalina coffee. As the spring 2021 semester came to an end, I started to envision myself doing all things “senior” within the next year.

Graduate
Photo by Matthew Liebman

FSU, thank you for all the memories and the lessons learned. For the good and bad times, the beautiful blue Tally skies, and for all the wonderful opportunities you have given me… thank you! In less than a month, I will graduate with my bachelor’s in English literature with a double minor in education and hospitality management. I will leave behind this beautiful university that has given me a place to call “home” for the last three years. My time at FSU could not have been done without the continuous support of my parents and family members. My mom always said that FSU was the best thing that could’ve happened for Erika and I, and she was so right! It is a bittersweet time for me, and my “next three” will be spent at Nova Southeastern University (NSU) Law where I will earn my Juris Doctorate degree. No matter where I am or how long it has been, Florida State University will always be home. Forever a ‘Nole!

Thank you,

Sofi

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us onFacebook and follow us onInstagram,Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi everyone! My name is Sofia Cabrera, and I am majoring in English and double minoring in education and hospitality management at Florida State University. As someone who is passionate for writing, I hope to use this platform as a way to share my experiences and have others learn about things that interest me and have influenced my life.