Love at First Sign: Why Gen-Z Finds Comfort in Astrology

Astrology has become a prominent appeal amongst those of this generation. More than ever, Generation Z, those born between 1997 and 2012, have been interested in studying the astronomical position of planets and their effect on Earth, but what about astrology attracts them?

From horoscope memes to birth chart readings, there’s no doubt that many people have developed a deeper fascination with the stars. One of the main reasons is that it provides a pathway to discovering oneself. Some of us may have trouble figuring out who we are or how to present ourselves. It’s common for people to have no sense of direction when it comes to self-discovery. However, through astrology, they are given clarity over ideas that they previously had trouble putting together. It also gives people tools and resources that help them learn about human behaviors. While it may teach people how to communicate and understand one another, it is not meant to judge or stereotype others. Rather, it acts as a guidance that aids people in building their sense of self, as well as a way to approach people and situations.  

Not only this, but the internet plays a drastic role in the growing popularity of astrology. Unlike previous generations, Generation Z’s access to newer technology has made them the most digital generation yet. Social media platforms like Instagram and Twitter have allowed their users to post and share content that’s all things stars and planets. They are able to share their favorite astrology-related posts with the rest of the world, which may spark other people’s interest in the concept, ultimately leading to a wider range of believers. The over-exploitation of media on the internet regarding zodiac signs has created an increased exposure towards the topic, so it’s no surprise that Generation Z, known for their involvement with technology and the internet, has claimed this interest as their own. 

All-in-all, astrology gives people something to believe in. This in itself may be comforting. It’s less about what’s fact or fiction and more about possibility—what could happen and how to handle it. It may answer questions that we have for ourselves or sway us to make a certain decision. Similar to meditating, reading or going on walks, astrology is an interest deemed to be relaxing. It is very common for people to feel that they need some sort of control over their life. Astrology gives us an idea of who we are or who we can be, so it is comforting to know that we are able to discover these parts of ourselves. A sense of control is important to this generation. It allows us to have an idea of the paths we want to take and the life we want to live.

So, the next time you see a zodiac post on social media, don’t hesitate to dive deeper into the realm. Whether it takes a little more research or it’s love at first sign, maybe you’ll just so happen to find your next interest. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Katrina Oro is currently a content editor for HerCampus at Florida State University (FSU). Besides writing, she loves movies, fashion and photography. Katrina is also a photographer for Strike Magazine at FSU.