When I think about the day I got accepted to study abroad in Florence, I remember the excitement of the unknown in being in a foreign country: to finally have the chance to travel. The idea of going to Italy always seemed like a distant dream, almost out of reach. But when the opportunity presented itself, I took it.

From the moment you land and start to walk around the city, you begin to feel inspired to learn more, do more, see more and even be more. Hearing the locals speak Italian has ignited a desire to learn the language and speak it fluently so that I may be able to be a part of it. Seeing the fashion and the designer stores around me made me realize how much how I love this art, that I am now enrolled in the Fashion and Craftsmanship course with Florida State University. Tasting a new cuisine from scratch kitchens opened my eyes to a new lifestyle of eating and learning to truly enjoy and savor my meals and those I surround myself with.

Although I came here alone, I was able to meet other students who were just as excited as I was to be in such a historic and beautiful country, filled with richness and culture. Being able to share these unique experiences with eager individuals has made the experience of trying new foods, learning a new language and even traveling together a fulfilling one. 

In my first two weeks, I was able to plan a day-trip to go to Pisa, where I saw the leaning tower and was able to climb its steep stairs. Nearing the end of my second week in Italy, a friend and I also had a weekend getaway in Milan, also known as the fashion capital of the world. As you can imagine, fashion is a big deal in Milan, which was made even more evident to me in the designer stores and the way of dress by the locals. Seeing the Milan Cathedral and admiring its beauty in the stained-glass windows to walking through the museum and learning its history was a special opportunity for us.

It may have only been two weeks thus far, but it feels as if I’ve opened the book to a new part of myself that I am just now meeting and nurturing. Being away from the safety of my loved ones was intimidating, as well as knowing that I am going to a foreign country where I don’t know anyone personally. However, putting myself out there allowed me to gain confidence in myself and create new memories and experiences that wouldn’t have been made possible unless I jumped in and taken the risk. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram,Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Madelyn Mairena is currently a Senior majoring in Advertising at Florida State University. She has been a writer for Her Campus since her freshman year and has found a passion for getting down to the nitty-gritty details of hot topics, as well as interviewing inspiring leaders and artists. For all business inquiries, please reach out to her at madelynstar11@gmail.com.