For the past month, it seems like everyone around me has been buzzing with anticipation about the grand opening of the new Raising Canes off-campus in Tallahassee. Tucked away in the charming heart of Tennessee St., Tallahassee, this enchanting location has been swarmed with customers every time I’ve passed by. However, this past week, I could no longer wait to seek the truth behind the Raising Canes craze. Thus, I was compelled to journey forth to determine for myself if the “hype” surrounding this beloved eatery is justified.

My journey began in Raising Canes’ parking lot where we dismounted from our metal chariot (a Blue Jetta) and ventured into a world of flavors and rock music. Upon entering, we were greeted by smiling employees who made a clear impression that the staff was comprised of friendly individuals who would make our dining experience all the more delightful.

I looked up to see dazzling disco balls hanging from the ceiling, casting glittering light across the building’s interior. The atmosphere was energetic, no doubt influenced by the pulsating rock music exiting the restaurant’s speakers. That being said, the music was not so overwhelming that I could not hear my companions marveling at the abundance of dining space that Canes offers. This was clearly a perfect hangout spot for late-night dining and rousing Friday afternoons.

Perusing the menu, my eyes alighted upon the “three finger combo,” a bold variation of chicken fingers, crinkle-cut fries, Cane’s sauce, Texas toast, and a refreshing fountain drink. Without wavering, I placed my order, and then, as if by magic, my name was called just a few short minutes later. My meal was ready, brought forth by the lightning-quick service of this daring Canes location, a testament to their speed and skill in the face of even the most formidable appetites.

As I savored my first bite, my reviewing process began.

My first quest was into the realm of the chicken itself. While undeniably fresh and piping hot, it did not strike me as anything too out of the ordinary. I began to feel disappointment creeping in until I discovered the secret weapon of these chicken fingers — the Cane’s sauce. I dipped my next bite into the tangy, slightly spicy sauce and knew that the chicken at least was worth the hype. The chicken and sauce together were a match made in heaven that certainly changed the way I thought about chicken tenders.

I turned my attention to my next item in my quest for culinary excellence: the crinkle-cut fries. Once again, I was struck by their hot and fresh texture but soon realized that they were a bit too salty for my taste. However, I know that there are those out there who crave saltiness in their meals, and for those souls, these fries would be a perfect match.

Nearing the end of my journey, I approached my final hurdle: the Texas toast and iced tea. As I bit into the fluffy and buttery bread, I realized that it was the perfect accompaniment to the foods that had come before. And then, as I brought the iced tea straw to my mouth, I wondered if this final element would live up to the rest of the experience. Taking a sip, I encountered a familiar taste. It was not impactful like the chicken and sauce or warm like the bread, but was rather refreshing like a cool breeze on a hot day. Although it was a taste I had encountered many times before, it was still enjoyable in its own right.

As I finished my meal, I felt a sense of accomplishment as I had embarked on a culinary adventure and found that Raising Canes for the most part is worth the hype. With an inviting and relaxed atmosphere as well as tasty food, it is a suitable addition to our FSU and Tallahassee community.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!