Life > Experiences

I Lost My Passport in France and This Is What Happened

While studying abroad in Florence, Italy with FSU, the school gives us a week off midway through the semester after midterms in exchange for missing out on Thanksgiving break, because Italians don’t observe the American tradition. Taking place during the last week of October, my roommates and I had planned a trip to the south of France (specifically Nice and Monaco), Paris, and then Switzerland.

We only planned to spend the first weekend of our break in the south of France, head to Paris for the start of the week, then leave for Switzerland on Wednesday. Unfortunately, on my way to Monaco, only three days into the break, I was in for a rude awakening when I realized my passport was no longer in my bag. After digging around and attempting to make numerous phone calls after hours on a Sunday (without much luck), I tried to retrace my steps to where I went wrong. After drawing the conclusion that I had been pickpocketed, I crafted my plan for getting to Paris on my Tuesday morning flight with only a driver’s license. 

According to the airline website and common logic, I hypothetically should have been fine to fly without the passport. The day of the flight, I checked in just fine and was told that traveling with a license within France itself was permissible. However, my nerves were still high as I waited in line at the gate, watching everyone present their passports.

When it came to my turn, I showed my ID and was asked if I had a passport, to which I replied “No.” I tried to remain calm to explain what had happened and that I needed to make it to Paris (because it’s one of two places that issues U.S. emergency passports in France). Realistically I was just praying I wouldn’t lose my time or money by having to take the six-hour train and lose my spot on the plane. After careful consideration, they let me through (I think out of pity).

Because I couldn’t speak French, my multiple attempts at calling the Nice Police Department were fruitless. So, once in Paris, I had my hotel concierge get in contact with the department, with the response that my passport had not been turned in. So, I was unfortunately met with a hard decision — give up my Switzerland trip or hope they didn’t check for my passport on the train and deal with it when I got back to Italy.

Obviously not wanting to be charged with a crime while abroad and potentially getting kicked out of Italy, I had to take the loss and miss out on the non-refundable Switzerland trip that I booked. By Wednesday, my roommates had left for Switzerland, and I got in touch with the U.S. Embassy in Paris. Fortunately, they were able to fit me in for an emergency appointment two days later and issued the passport the day of! 

The whole scenario ultimately worked out rather smoothly, and I got an impromptu trip to Paris out of it. Even better, my dad decided to hop on the next available plane to Paris and meet up with me. With my classes for the following week after break being canceled, we spent a few extra days in Paris. Then, we traveled back to Florence together, where I got to give him a spontaneous tour of the school and my life there. Of course, on my first day back in Florence, I managed to lose the key to my apartment in the stairwell of my own building.

My best advice after this whole experience is to try to keep it together as best you can — or if not, just better than me — because it can cost you a vacation and a walk of shame to the housing coordinator.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Paige McGuinn is a second year student at FSU studying Communication/Media Studies and Business. She loves writing about current events, pop culture and trends. With a passion for female empowerment, she is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus community!