If you’re like me, then you’ve never been camping before. Yet, the idea of a luxurious ‘glamping’ experience sounds enticing. You get all the perks of camping, such as being in nature and disconnecting, without the hassle. Everything is already set up for you and all you have to do is show up and enjoy. Staying close to Tallahassee, Georgia has plenty of great camping options, depending on your budget and what kind of accommodation you’re looking for.

This past summer, my roommates and I stayed at Ramsden Lake in Stone Mountain, GA. Since this was my first time glamping and the closest thing I’ve ever done to camping, Ramsden Lake was everything I could’ve asked for and more.

Located just outside of Atlanta, Stone Mountain is a 4.5-hour drive away. This is far enough from Tallahassee to feel like a vacation, but close enough that the drive doesn’t feel excruciatingly long. While the city itself doesn’t have much to do, Ramsden Lake’s stunning property and comfy accommodations make you never want to leave. We spent two nights glamping at Ramsden Lake, which was the perfect amount of time for a girls’ getaway trip.

With eight different sites on the property, we stayed at number six, the Forest Tent. It was spacious, yet cozy. The tree in the middle of the bell-shaped tent complements the outdoors and the rustic decor adds to the natural feel. Air conditioning, heating and a wood-burning fireplace were also available in the tent, which made it perfect for chilly nights. Cooking utensils, pots and pans, a cooler, a bundle of wood and a starting log were provided. There were also informational videos on how to build a fire (which we needed, of course), how to operate air conditioning and heating and even a short explanation of the site.

One of my personal concerns with camping was the bathroom situation. However, our campsite had the most amazing outdoor shower built around the surrounding trees, encompassing them in the design. The handmade Moroccan copper tree rain shower made taking an outdoor shower feel fantastic. One of my favorite parts of the shower was the hot water heater, which allowed us to take hot showers during the cold nights.

After waking up and sending our parents texts letting them know we were alive, we wandered down to the lake and walked around the property. The little dock jutting out from the shore made it the perfect lookout spot. Additionally, the trees bordering the lake with their ensemble of orange and yellow leaves made it the most peaceful and gorgeous area.

We spent the rest of the day lounging in the tent, reading books that had been sitting on our shelves collecting dust and catching up after the busy semester. During the day, we would peel back the tent’s outer layer on the entrance and feel the fresh air and cool breeze flow through our tent. Later in the evening, after we had worked up an appetite from our hard glamping work, we made hotdogs by the campfire. As the fire burned out, while our glamping playlist played, we sat around talking and making s’mores.

If you choose to leave the property and venture out into town, they provide you with a link to some of their favorite restaurants and activities. Before checking in, we chose to explore Stone Mountain Park, which is a large rock that you can walk on and even see Atlanta on a clear day. You can either hike up the mountain or take a gondola ride up. Unfortunately for us, it was rainy and wet when we visited, so we took the gondola ride, and the ground was completely covered in fog. We couldn’t see the city, but it was still a worthwhile experience.

Our last morning there, we fed the three horses that live on the property for an additional charge. We thought it would be a great way to end our stay, and we were right. We fed them carrots and while they nibbled away, we had the pleasure of talking to one of the kind owners. We asked him all sorts of questions about the property and his experience running it.

Our first glamping trip was successful, as our tent was comfortable and dreamy. After completing finals, glamping was the perfect solution for us to unplug and destress. Ramsden Lake is the perfect glamping location, making you feel like you’re in a secluded forest. It is the perfect space to reconnect and clear your mind.

I’m already thinking about my next trip to Ramsden Lake since they will be expanding their property soon. If you’ve ever thought about going glamping with your partner or close friends, book that trip to Ramsden Lake and have the glamping trip of your dreams.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest! 

Sydney is a Junior at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida, majoring in Media and Communication Studies. When I'm not planning my next trip, I'm discovering new music, trying new restaurants, and lounging at the beach.