I have developed a love for planning and organizing. My problem is that I do not always do what is on the plan, so I wanted to create one. I want to share some ways to get organized and what I plan to do in the upcoming weeks.

Cleaning

My room is often a representation of how I feel. If my room is a mess, I feel a mess. If my room is neat, I feel ready to start the day. The first thing I suggest doing is cleaning your room and putting stuff away. I put as much away and out of sight as possible so I do not get distracted by small things. 

planning

Make a to-do list or pull out a planner. Identifying what needs to be done is a great way to stay on top of your work and plans for the week. Personally, I make two to-do lists and write out everything on a calendar as well. One to-do list contains what is due and needs to be completed that day. It doesn’t just include assignments, but also any bills to pay, meetings I need to attend and people I may need to call or email. I suggest writing it all out—this helps you get a visual for the day, and for some people, a sense of satisfaction when crossing out or wiping the item away when completed.

My second to-do list contains everything that needs to be done throughout the week. I go to this to-do list sometimes when I need a break from what I need to do that day. This way, I am still productive even when I’m procrastinating. Additionally, I write out all my assignments on a monthly calendar in my room. This allows me to see any big projects or papers coming up, as well as any events, volunteer items and breaks to look forward to. You can also make an excel sheet with your to-do items along with the dates and organize it through there. It can be sorted in multiple ways and you can color coordinate the items by categories/classes or any other way!

time management

A good way to organize your day is to block out times. Make a plan from morning until night. Although you may not follow it to a T, it does help you get a sense of what you should be doing and focusing on.

For example:

6:00 am: Get up and get ready.

6:30 am: Go to the gym/yoga.

7:30 am: Shower and eat.

8:30 am: Walk to class.

9:00 am to 2:00 pm: Classes.

2:30 pm: Eat.

3:30 pm: Class one, homework and review.

5:00 pm: Class two, homework and review.

7:00 pm: Meeting.

8:00 pm: Shower, eat and relax.

11:00 pm: Go to bed.

health

Take time for yourself. As important as school and work are, so is your health. So, make time to get enough sleep and eat. Take your vitamins and do something fun for yourself! Whether it is reading, napping, watching a show or YouTube, painting, going for a walk, cooking or writing, just do it! You have put so much time and effort into your other obligations, and now you owe it to yourself to take some time for yourself.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

FSU student majoring in Psychology currently on the pre-med track. I love the Fine Arts, specifically dance, which has been a part of my life since the age of three. I enjoy music, tv, and have found a new joy in writing and reading.