Life > Experiences

FSU To-Do List as a Graduating Senior

As I prepare to walk across the stage at graduation, I reflect on my three years at Florida State University. Time has flown by, yet I have enjoyed and embraced every moment that this university and this city have given me. I owe it not only to myself but to the university to experience, one final time, all the little things that make this place feel like home. Here is a little to-do list of places to visit and things to do before graduation! 

Being an undergraduate student has channeled my inner love for a good coffee. I am not sure if my addiction for coffee is even about staying awake to finish an assignment. I blame my coffee addiction on the cute coffee shops in the area. For me, it is all about the coffee experience which entails a comfy outfit, a choice of a caramel or vanilla hot latte with oat milk, and an endless amount of homework as I sip my coffee. My go-to coffee shop in the Tallahassee area is Catalina Cafe (best caramel/vanilla iced latte ever!) or Lucky Goat. My advice is to savor those coffee experiences and make it a priority to visit your favorite coffee shops in Tallahassee. 

After being virtual for almost two years due to the pandemic, I have cherished my Tuesday and Thursday walks to campus for class. As an English major, I only have classes in the Williams Building. Yes, I hike that hill, which feels like a mountain, to get to class. Despite the strenuous walk, I embrace the Tallahassee blue skies with a smile on my face. Usually, I will purposely walk to the Westcott Fountain once class finishes to take my usual fountain picture for the day. These are the moments I will miss when I graduate. Enjoy those walks to campus and choose your favorite campus spot. While doing so, don’t dread the walk too much.

One of the highlights of my years at FSU was visiting Thomasville, Georgia and Providence Canyon State Park. I did both excursions during my second year. I know you probably think that these places are not in Tallahassee. While that is true, I recommend taking a day trip to either of these places. Thomasville is about a 40-minute drive from campus, while the state park is about two and half hours away. This may feel a bit far, yet look how quickly you can be in a different state! I recommend Thomasville during the week or on a Saturday. Brunch places are closed on Sundays, so choose another day that works for you and spend the day in Georgia. You won’t regret it. 

Lastly, embrace your school spirit! FSU has the best fans in the nation, and you can feel everyone’s adrenaline and enthusiasm at any sporting event. During the spring semester, I have attended multiple basketball games. There are also other sporting events during this time of year, and the best part is that the tickets are free for students! Also, graduating seniors get priority when distributing student tickets. Use that to your advantage and plan your next sporting event. 

Getting ready to graduate can be a time of both excitement and uncertainty. This time in your life only happens once…college, you will be missed! Don’t waste time and enjoy your last semester as a ‘Nole. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi everyone! My name is Sofia Cabrera, and I am majoring in English and double minoring in education and hospitality management at Florida State University. As someone who is passionate for writing, I hope to use this platform as a way to share my experiences and have others learn about things that interest me and have influenced my life.