Career

Free Online Career Courses You Need To Know About

We all need to stand out, both personally and professionally. Depending on your industry and years of experience, some entry-level positions require specific skills or certifications. For most internship or entry-level positions, certifications are a good bonus that could make you stand out in the fierce competition of a large pool of applicants. 

Certifications have additional benefits that go beyond job hunting. They can help you enhance your networking skills, identify your technical strengths and weaknesses and more. Getting certified proves to employers that you go the extra mile to expand your knowledge and have a clear understanding of various concepts. There is no “one size fits all” when taking online certificates. However, there is something out there for all professions tailored to your individual needs. 

There are various benefits for leveraging free opportunities to learn via resources. Their sole purpose is to help you become better, more educated and make a move in your professional development.

Below are some FREE certificates that you can take to make you stand out and brag about on your LinkedIn. 

Google always knows it all, and the proof is the popular phrase of “ask Google.” Google offers a great certificate called Fundamentals of Digital Marketing. The course gives you access to 26 modules of self-paced video tutorials that will take you an estimated 40 hours to complete. The program is accredited by the Interactive Advertising Bureau Europe and The Open University. According to the certificate’s webpage, the certificate will allow you to “Master the basics of digital marketing with our Interactive Advertising Bureau-accredited course. There are 26 modules to explore, all created by Google trainers, packed full of practical exercises and real-world examples to help you turn knowledge into action.” Digital platforms are ever-evolving, and it’s becoming more and more critical to understand online marketing no matter what our profession is. By the end of the course, you’ll have a good foundational understanding of digital marketing principles to help expand your knowledge. 

Coursera offers a unique plan for students called the Campus Student plan that helps you build skills with unlimited guided projects and one free course per year. It’s important to understand the importance of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) now more than ever. Defining Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in Organizations is the first course of a four-course series that explores core definitions of diversity, equity and inclusion. The course is entirely online with flexible deadlines, taking about six hours to complete with the opportunity to share it on LinkedIn and add it to your portfolio or resume. 

We are all proud Noles, and the perks of being a Florida State University (FSU) student are endless. FSU gives you access to “13,000+ videos and training courses for everything from professional development to personal hobbies—all free to FSU students, faculty and staff.” on LinkedIn Learning. FSU created an effective Personal Development Collection that includes ten different courses about time management, productivity enhancement, thought leadership and more. 

Also on LinkedIn Learning, a course series that you should keep an eye on is Women in Leadership. Women are leaders of change and are a core support system to our society. According to Zippia, Women represent 54.3 percent of the US workforce as of December 2021, but make up only 35 percent of senior leadership positions. According to one study, companies with women executives are 30 percent more likely to outperform other companies. Women are underestimated and are usually paid less than their male colleagues, and are left out of critical networks. However, the sun is shining bright as many companies realize how women deserve to take on roles and get paid their worth. The course will help you “identify key skills necessary to advance in the workplace, practice behaviors that will move you into leadership positions and create a plan for future success in your career.”

So, go out there and nail it, girl!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hanya is an Integrated Marketing Communication graduate student. She earned her Bachelor's degree in Advertising and minored in Entrepreneurship at Florida State University. She is an iced coffee type of gal, and you will always find her holding one. She binge watches Netflix, Tiktok, and random YouTube videos. She is passionate about everything advertising-related and is a media enthusiast.