For the first time in American history, the man who led the country for four years in the White House will be taken into custody, fingerprinted, given a mugshot and then taken to court before a judge this week. The indictment of former President Donald Trump by a New York grand jury has thrown the United States into unprecedented political and historical waters, and a plethora of questions still remain.

Donald Trump is now facing 34 counts related to business fraud in an indictment from a Manhattan grand jury. The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office has been investigating Trump since the 2016 presidential election for his alleged role in a hush money payment scheme and cover-up involving adult film star Stormy Daniels. The two had an alleged affair in 2006, which Trump has consistently denied. However, Trump’s lawyer, Michael Cohen, supposedly paid her $130,000 to keep quiet about the ordeal. While that isn’t inherently illegal, the manner in which Michael Cohen recorded the figure in Trump’s account was. Cohen allegedly falsified Trump’s business documents by claiming the payment was for legal reasons and had Trump executives authorize payments upwards of $420,000 to cover the original $130,000 payment.

While the indictment is currently being withheld and has yet to be unveiled, Trump and his allies have torn into District Attorney Alvin Bragg and the grand jury’s decision, calling it a “Political Persecution and Election Interference at the highest level in history” in a released statement.

“I believe this Witch-Hunt will backfire massively on Joe Biden,” Trump continued. “The American people realize exactly what the Radical Left Democrats are doing here. Everyone can see it. So our Movement, and our Party — united and strong — will first defeat Alvin Bragg, and then we are going to throw every last one of these Crooked Democrats out of office so we can MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

This decision has sent shockwaves around the country and many people are wondering if the former President is going to be imprisoned. The current answer is that we don’t know. If he were to be convicted of a felony, Trump could face some jail time, albeit four years maximum. However, that would make him the first United States President to not only face felony charges but to also be incarcerated.

Trump has already made history with his current indictment. Previously, former President Richard Nixon was approaching a probable indictment for his notorious Watergate scandal, however, he received a pardon from his successor, Gerald Ford, and avoided jail time and all criminal charges.

In the past, Trump has faced a variety of legal convictions with his businesses. In December, Trump Organization was found convicted of multiple charges of tax fraud. However, Trump himself has never been charged. It is unclear what the future holds for the former Commander-in-Chief.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Jillian is currently attending Florida State University and majoring in editing, writing, and media. Her interests include reading, movies/tv shows, music, cooking, writing, and more! She loves Taylor Swift and Ben Platt, and of course Her Campus. Contact: Instagram: jilliankaplann Snapchat: jilliankaplan7