Culture > Digital

Dimensional: A Social Media App for Personality Tests

College is a time of discovery and learning about who you are. I have always been fascinated with all things psychology, and a few months ago a friend of mine shared the Dimensional app with me. Dimensional is an extensive and highly personalized personality test app curated for individuals wanting to gain insight into themselves — and I can’t get enough of it.

How does Dimensional work?

After downloading the app, I was prompted with a series of personality quizzes. According to Dimensional, it “measures over 200 personality traits across 10 dimensions to create your unique signature.” Each of these tests unlocked elements, patterns and archetypes about myself, eventually unlocking a detailed trait encyclopedia. In the trait encyclopedia, I can read an in-depth description of each attribute this app gives me.

I was able to add my friends and compare how similarly we behave in the workplace, discover how compatible we are, and determine if we have the same values. While most personality tests focus on a single aspect of personality, Dimensional examines multiple aspects of personality, creating a thorough depiction of who you are to the core.

What personality tests do you take?

The tests on Dimensional vary. I was able to answer questions to get my Myers-Briggs result, which was the same as it’s been when I’ve taken that test online before. A Myers-Briggs test result dives deep into psychological preferences to show how people perceive the world and understand their decision-making process. A separate test on Dimensional made me acknowledge my attachment style when it comes to love, which I was unfamiliar with before. If I’m being honest, I felt a little called out with this one.

Additionally, each time I completed an assessment and discovered a trait, the app compared my score to an average user score. I find this part extremely interesting because I could see how my score matched up to the general population. You can sort through dozens of traits to see what they mean and how many others report similar results.

Is it worth the download?

Dimensional is a nontraditional social media app in the way that it’s not meant to be used on a daily basis. You take the quizzes, learn about yourself and wait for your friends to unlock their traits to compare. Compared to traditional social media platforms like Tiktok and Instagram, I think Dimensional is more pleasurable to use. These social media sites can become draining with the never-ending stream of content, while Dimensional is a source compiled of information all about yourself. You could argue that looking through this app would be a narcissist’s favorite pastime, but I think it serves as a tool to reflect on why we may behave in certain ways.

I also think Dimensional appeals to Gen Z because once you finish all of the assessments, it compiles Instagram-like “stories” of your greatest strengths, your most toxic traits, your calling in life and more. Overall, Dimensional has helped me gain a better understanding of myself and my relationships with others and I believe it is 100 percent worth the download.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Lexi is a third-year student at FSU majoring in public relations. She enjoys spending time with friends, coffee, concerts, reading, and the beach.