Compilation of Underrated Shows From My Childhood

Recently, I have been reminiscing on my childhood (as I do pretty often) and it led me down a spiral of nostalgia. Sometimes I think about the number of shows from my youth that just never got the appreciation they deserved. I like to think that I’m the only person who has watched certain shows because no one talks about them. Well, I guess you can be the judge of that because I will be going over the top underrated shows from my childhood.

Jonas LA

Let’s start off with a classic that some of you may be somewhat familiar with. Everyone knows the Jonas Brothers (if you don’t, that would be very unfortunate) but not many people know that they had their own television show on Disney Channel for about two years. The show was full of laughs, joy and of course amazing music from the iconic brothers. If their Hannah Montana cameo interested you in the slightest as a kid, this show was definitely the icing on the cake.

How To Rock

Okay, so this show has to be one of my top Nickelodeon series of all time. It still boggles me how it only got one season to truly shine before it was abruptly canceled. The show starred Cymphonique Miller (who in my opinion is a very underrated artist, but that’s a topic for another day) and Max Schneider. How to Rock was just one of those feel-good shows that I enjoyed watching every Saturday at 8:30 p.m. I will always ride hard for it.

Teen Titans Go!

So, hear me out on this one. I’ll start by prefacing that I’m not a big fan of remakes, especially when it stems from very iconic shows. However, this series is one that I will make an exception for. Despite the major difference in animation between this show and the original Teen Titans, I really loved the comedic presence that the remake entailed. In my opinion, it was a more playful and heartfelt version of the original which made me really connect with it. I know it wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but it should be praised for what the series was by itself, not by the predecessor it followed.

Red Band Society

This show is a little different from the ones I have discussed so far in that it was on neither Disney, Cartoon Network nor Nickelodeon; it was on FOX. I found out about this show through my brother back in 2014. He was watching it on the couch one day and I joined him. Little did I know this show would become an all-time favorite of mine for years to come. The show follows a group of teenagers in a pediatric hospital as they learn to handle their illnesses and form connections with one another. The premise of the show was one I had never watched before and it broke my heart to see it canceled after only one season of airing. 

Camp LazLo

I feel like this show is definitely an undiscovered gem for most people. In short, the show centered around the adventures of a monkey and his friends (keep in mind this is an animation) as they explore Camp Kidney. This is one of those cartoons that I would wake up to in the middle of the night and would stay ingrained in my head. 

While there are still many shows I could add to this list, these are just some of my most memorable childhood shows that I feel are severely underrated. A lot of them have shaped me into the person I am today, so if you ever have the chance, check them out!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Leann Taylor is a student at Florida State University who's currently pursuing a double major in Marketing and Advertising. In her free time she loves making jewelry, taking pictures, eating anything sweet, and traveling!